Bad meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sahd0w

Assistant Cook
Hi all. I'm trying to figure out something that happened to me last night. I came home from work, ready to cook a dinner I'd been planning. I asked my boyfriend to pick up some steak, which he did, and he had been home about an hour earlier than me. Anyway, when I started to cook, I took a look at the piece of steak he bought, and I immediately rejected it, as it had large green splotches all over it, and it looked like it had a translucent film on the top in some places. I was very upset because it was too late to go out and buy more. It smelled like nothing, meaning, it didn't smell like fresh meat, nor did it smell bad. I had to ditch my whole dinner plan and order some burgers.
My boyfriend wasn't sure, but he said he thought that the meat might be alright and that it might have just been discolored in the fridge. I wasn't going to risk getting food poisoning, however.
So can anybody tell me, did I do the right thing or did I waste a perfectly good piece of steak?

You did the right thing. Green on meat is not good. Odd that it did not smell, but that can happen I suppose.

First off, Welcome to DC, sahdOw
Second, when in doubt, throw it out!
No, actually, I would have returned it to the store.
But good instincts.

Oh thank you so much for the quick replies!! It's been weighing on my conscience all day lol. And now I can give him a big "told you so!" as well ;) But I'm really glad I didn't risk our health for the sake of a dinner I can make any other day.

Mind if I ask something related to this? I have four steaks in the fridge crisper that I want to slice up, cook, season, and freeze for future stir fry. I looked at them and the date says July 5, and they smell fine, but there is some discoloration - some parts of them have turned brown. Is that only because of the oxygen, or do I have bad meat?

Sometimes I find discoloration on meat I just bought from (a reputable) store, as if areas of it have been cooked already. I see it especially in ground beef. An hunk of the meat will be grey as if it were zapped in a microwave. Sometimes the insides of a steak will be that way and I've always wondered if it's because they irradiate their meat or something.

You might also notice different coloured spots on corned meats, this can mean simply than the brine hasn't penetrated through the meat evenly.

First, you did well to discard it. It doesn't really matter if it was safe or not, if you make a practice of discarding when you are not sure, you will potentially save yourself a lot of regret.

What you might have seen was iridescence. Iridescence on raw and cooked beef is NORMAL. It is natural to some beef muscles and does not mean the beef is bad.

The green splotches may be iridescences, but without seeing it, it is hard to tell.

OSU Meat Science: IRIDESCENCE IN RAW AND COOKED MEATS

I've seen inks used in inspection and grading cause odd discolorations on and in meat.

Yesterday Kroger recalled thousands of pounds of ground beef. Some with expiration dates of July 21, over three weeks after grinding. For this reason, I seldom buy ground beef, but grind or chop my own. 3 weeks is way too long to keep ground beef in a plastic package. Especially in a relatively high temperature meat cooler. Green slimy meat? Never touch it. Would not buy it in the first place, but if it showed up, I would call the store manager. Many times they will give you store credit over the phone and you can discard it yourself.

What you might have seen was iridescence. Iridescence on raw and cooked beef is NORMAL. It is natural to some beef muscles and does not mean the beef is bad.

I am familiar with iridescence. This was definitely not what was on my steak! It was a really sickly, greenish-grey and the rest of the steak had a slimy or hard *crust*. I believe people have a built-in ability to sense when their food is bad or off, and I could see it across the room.
Thanks for telling me about the iridescence though, I was never sure if it was alright to eat meat with it! =)

I am familiar with iridescence. This was definitely not what was on my steak! It was a really sickly, greenish-grey and the rest of the steak had a slimy or hard *crust*.

With that description there is no doubt it was bad.

I believe people have a built-in ability to sense when their food is bad or off,

Theory is thats why the nose is over the mouth.

and I could see it across the room.

Seems your boy friend needs lessons in shopping.

No crime in that. We all learned at some point. Fact is I'm still learning and hope to never stop.

YOU PEOPLE, are just such good hearted folks, it's so nice to read all the good advice and experience speaking here.
And--well the people that ate the green meat aren't here anymore to give you their experience as they may have gotten sick and died.:ermm:
Thanks! Bliss

I have found that a $15.00 steak is not worth three days of not leaving the bathroom because of illness from being risky. Never eat anything that you have to hesitate whether or not if its good or bad. I have had foodborne illness more times than I care to remember from eating foods at weddings from being a DJ. Since I do not eat any "home" prepared mayo based salads anymore I have not been sick. Lean to the cautious side and you will be fine.

Sometimes while shopping I see meat that has a weird color to it, like a soap bubble rainbow of some sort.
Most of the store meat is defrosted, so it loses it's appeal in my eyes, but most people eat that stuff (I do too).

What is that un-natural coloration?
Is it ok?

I see it in cold-cuts too sometimes :|

Back
Top Bottom