Bread Heels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you do with bread heels???

• Toss them

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Eat them

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Feed them to the animlas

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Never thought about it

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
Oops. I voted before I read the thread, though it doesn't necessarily change my answer. The first thing I thought of when I read "heel", was the end on a loaf of Italian bread. Those were all mine when I was a kid and I still love the heel. You really have to work the butter into it though... Doesn't matter to me. I love crust.

On a regular loaf of bread; when I bought bread in the store the end (I also call it the crust) was a last resort. Taken out and put back in to help keep the next slice fresh. I had no problem eating the two crusts, but they were usually sliced thin and flimsy and really only good for toast, IMO.

Now homemade bread.... that's a different story. I'm with AC and what Katie said about Buck. The end is absolutely a treat on a fresh made loaf. And the way I slice my bread machine loaves, I get three ends; one I enjoy right away, one to keep the loaf fresh on the end and winds up as toast or garlic bread, and the other one usually gets tossed, as it is where the paddle was.

You know pacanis... I always enjoy that you change your avatar and siggy. I get a kick out of it!

I agree tho about the bread heel, I always looked at it as a functional piece of bread, but not really something that I wanted to eat. I always looked at it as a way to keep the rest of the loaf fresher!

We sometimes use them in sandwiches, but usually I save them in the freezer. When I have enough, I use them for bread pudding or dressing.

:)Barbara

I'll eat it toasted, or save it and use it in my stuffing when doing a roast bird.

... The wife unit also likes heels, so, they go to use in our house.

AC

I like heels too, especially 3 inch ones, black is nice. They accentuate the female calf so beautifully, making them look muscular and strong. I wouldn't throw them at the ducks though. It might hurt the poor critters. I also wouldn't wear them, or make them from bread. I'd think the bread would crush when you stepped down on them, unless we're talking about those ultra hard zweiback things.;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't understand the concept of dunking heals into things like olive oil, or ranch dressing. Heals, as stated before, have to be very hard to withstand the weight of a woman standing on them, and therefore would be difficult to chew, and harder to swallow. And why would you want to even try?:LOL:

Ok, enough silliness. Bread heels are great when lightly toasted, smeared with just the right amount of butter, and drizzled with good honey. The mroe dense outer side keeps the honey in place, rather than letting it seep through the pores to drip all over my shirt.

I also use the heals to make home-made panko bread crumbs. Just rub the insides of two heels together and say "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home." Oh! Wait! That's not right. That's from the Wizard of Oz movie.:ROFLMAO: Now let's see. Oh yeh. Rub the insides of the heels together, like sand paper. Beautiful bread crumbs fall downward, so do this over a plate or jellyroll pan, or something, unless you like picking up a bunch of breadcrumbs off of the floor. And for those of you with pets, or stinky feet, I wouldn't recomend you use those breadcrumbs from the floor for your cooking (unless you followed the 3-second rule of course).

Finally, if you bake the bread crumbs until crisp, and then file the edges, you can use them as a lethal frizbee kind-of-thing, to hunt with.:wacko:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yep. I was right. Those don't look like anything I'd want to munch on. I'll stick to the whole wheat variety, thank you very much.:cool: Oh, and how do you ladies walk in those things anyway? Do you have to practice on stilts first? And do you have to carry extra hankies around, in case of nosebleeds?:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like heels too, especially 3 inch ones, black is nice. They accentuate the female calf so beautifully, making them look muscular and strong. I wouldn't throw them at the ducks though. It might hurt the poor critters. I also wouldn't wear them, or make them from bread. I'd think the bread would crush when you stepped down on them, unless we're talking about those ultra hard zweiback things.;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't understand the concept of dunking heals into things like olive oil, or ranch dressing. Heals, as stated before, have to be very hard to withstand the weight of a woman standing on them, and therefore would be difficult to chew, and harder to swallow. And why would you want to even try?

Ok, enough silliness. Bread heels are great when lightly toasted, smeared with just the right amount of butter, and drizzled with good honey. The mroe dense outer side keeps the honey in place, rather than letting it seep through the pores to drip all over my shirt.

I also use the heals to make home-made panko bread crumbs. Just rub the insides of two heels together and say "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home." Oh! Wait! That's not right. That's from the Wizard of Oz movie.:ROFLMAO: Now let's see. Oh yeh. Rub the insides of the heels together, like sand paper. Beautiful bread crumbs fall downward, so do this over a plate or jellyroll pan, or something, unless you like picking up a bunch of breadcrumbs off of the floor. And for those of you with pets, or stinky feet, I wouldn't recomend you use those breadcrumbs from the floor for your cooking (unless you followed the 3-second rule of course).

Finally, if you bake the bread crumbs until crisp, and then file the edges, you can use them as a lethal frizbee kind-of-thing, to hunt with.:wacko:

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL: That was great Goodweed!!!! Someone got you wound up!

Yep. I was right. Those don't look like anything I'd want to munch on. I'll stick to the whole wheat variety, thank you very much.:cool: Oh, and how do you ladies walk in those things anyway? Do you have to practice on stilts first? And do you have to carry extra hankies around, in case of nosebleeds?:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I don't want to alarm you Goodweed, but I don't think those shoes are meant for walking!

oh I keep 'em fer sure. I love the heels for me for my sandwiches either grilled cheese or peanut butter. I wouldn't give 'em out to anyone else though. if it's really good bread, I freeze them and use 'em fer bread crumbs later, like with sourdough

Another question--what do you call them? Obviously "heels" is a popular term, and I had heard them called that. We always called them "end pieces." I noticed someone calls them crust. Is there another name anyone uses?

:)Barbara

Hmmmmm.... good question! I'm trying to remember from my childhood days what we called them. Seems my parents always referred to it as the heel of the bread. So does that mean there is a toe?

I do the same as many of you, crumbs, croutons and food for the outside critters. However, when right out of the oven, one heel is for me!!!!

Depends on the bread. Real good crusty bread, you gotta fight me for it. I've been known to cutt off both ends and run...
The store bought loaf, my middle son likes it.
Pardon me for being rude, we call the ends the "butts"
So he requests his PB&J or ham n cheese in a "butt sandwich"
Yeah, I know, too much info...
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom