Looking for a pasta sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckTs

Assistant Cook
Hi,

A restaurant that I used to frequent is now closing, and they made a pasta sauce who's name escapes me, but I'd really like to learn how to make it.

The sauce is very orange, creamy, partially stringy, usually came with penne and a slice of bread to dip. I think the base of it is tomato sauce, but again it's very orange and sort of stringy; it's also pretty spicy. I'm drooling just thinking about it :)

Anyways I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me identify the stuff. I've been googling for the last hour trying to figure out what it is, but to no avail.

actually, just found something that looks a lot like it:

edit: I guess I can't post links until I'm a more frequent poster...it's the rosee sauce on the allrecipes site

I think you're talking about Vodka Sauce. The spiciness can vary, same as the color depending on the amounts of heavy cream. I think it's commonly served on penne also.

Awesome, I think based on what google image search turned up that's probably the sauce.

Thanks Aera!

Welcome, ChuckT.
I just looked up your recipe. I've never heard of it, but i haven't heard of alot of things.
They recommended cheese tortollini.
I don't see where the "stringy" part would come from though.
I was thinking of an alfredo with tomato paste, pepperoncini and extra parm added.

If they are closing, why don't you go before they do
to try to get the recipe from the chef?
Good luck.

it could just be a simple tomato cream sauce, with the stringy part being added mozzarella cheese.

chuck, try adding a liitle cream and/or ricoota to a basic tomayo sauce, then adding some large grated mozarella to it just before serving. i wouldn't doubt if it were also finished with fresh basil or parsley.

Hi,

A restaurant that I used to frequent is now closing, and they made a pasta sauce who's name escapes me, but I'd really like to learn how to make it.

The sauce is very orange, creamy, partially stringy, usually came with penne and a slice of bread to dip. I think the base of it is tomato sauce, but again it's very orange and sort of stringy; it's also pretty spicy. I'm drooling just thinking about it :)

Anyways I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me identify the stuff. I've been googling for the last hour trying to figure out what it is, but to no avail.

actually, just found something that looks a lot like it:

edit: I guess I can't post links until I'm a more frequent poster...it's the rosee sauce on the allrecipes site

Hi ChuckTs,
If the sauce is stringy when you pick up a mouthful and there appear to be strings connecting between the fork and the plate, then the chances are that mozzarella is part of the sauce. It not, then the sauce is more likely to be "stringy" from another ingredient such as VERY finely sliced red or yellow peppers.

A basic salsa napoletana to which you add some mascarpone and some mozzarella would probably give you the same or similiar sauce. Adding the mascarpone tones down the colour to orange/pink and in terms of flavour would make it more creamy and less acidic than a pure tomato sauce. Finally, mozzarella, diced added in the last minute or two of cooking would give that "stinginess" to the sauce.

The spiciness that you report is likely to be the result of adding chilli flakes or very finely diced, deseeded fresh red chillis to the basic Salsa Napoletana - tomato sauce. Any white part of the chilli which is only evident when you slice the chilli lengthways, and open it out to remove the seeds, should be removed.

Now we have a problem - namely chillis. I live in the UK and although more types of chillis are coming on to the market, I`m aware that more varieties are regularly sold in the USA. The type of chilli that I would use for the sauce you describe would be a long thin red chilli, not too strong. I would add the chilli (flakes or fresh) to the onion and garlic mix before adding wine, reducing and then tomatoes (canned) and passatta and cook at a low simmer for a couple of hours. As you have to pay for the heat, no matter how much sauce you make, it is worth making a big pot and using some and freezing the rest in appropriately sized packs.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Simple tomato sauce can take on a wonderfully rich twist when combined with a creamy agent like heavy cream or fresh cheese, while colour becoming lighter, orangish as noted... if it is stringy probably mozzarella was added, as buckytom suggested.
Less stringy but stracchino or robiola can attain similar rich flavour. I like to add some chopped fresh basil leaves towards the end of cooking as well.

I know that someone else's sauce seems to taste better than yours does, but have you ever tried making your own sauce then adding creme fraiche in it? I made it last night on the spur of the moment dinner and it really brought the house down with kudos.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom