Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Thanksgiving dinner for 2 (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/thanksgiving-dinner-for-2-a-4797.html)

tiggerbengal 11-22-2004 08:25 PM

Thanksgiving dinner for 2

We are going to my husbands parents for lunch, and his mom said they are buying turkey "slices" from the store. To me, it sounds like deli meat and not a true traditional turkey. So, I want to make me and my husband a real one for dinner, however I am having a problem: The smallest turkey I have found so far is 9 lbs, which is a bit too big, I think. Do they make smaller ones? Does AJ Fine Foods carry small ones like that?

masteraznchefjr 11-22-2004 08:27 PM

hmm how bout turkey breasts. i think the smallest turkey youll ever find is like a 8 lb. cause i found a 8 lb at cosco

Psiguyy 11-22-2004 08:29 PM

Butterball has small turkeys called Li'l Butterball. You can also find turkey breasts all over the place.

Why not roast a big turkey? That's what I do. I divide the leftover into plastic freezer bags and freeze them for future use.

tiggerbengal 11-22-2004 08:39 PM

Is the turkey breast white meat or dark meat? Hubby likes dark meat .. I guess I could buy a 9 lb and freeze it or if we get tire of it, toss it.

Raine 11-22-2004 09:22 PM

I think anything smaller would be a chicken. You also have to remember part of that weight is bone. By the time you subtract that, it might be gone in a couple of meals. Have pets, they would enjoy some turkey.

BlueCat 11-22-2004 09:53 PM

Well, a turkey breast would be fine. It is, of course, all white meat. The little turkeys tend to be all bone, so I go for the 12 punder, even if it's just for 2. I take it all apart and freeze some of it immediately. Then I make soup with the bones. I don't hesitate to make a whole turkey for just 2 people but I like the turkey breast as well. I like the taste of turkey and it freezes well, so don't think you have to eat turkey for a week.

BC

auntdot 11-22-2004 09:58 PM

Tiggerbengal, like you there are two of us.

We buy a 14 to 16 lb. bird.

After T-day dinner we have leftovers and sandwiches (including hot turkey sandwiches with gravy).

But I think little beats a sandwich of turkey with stuffing, mayo, and fresh ground pepper.

Then we take the rest of the meat and and make turkey pot pies (always look forward to those), and finally use the carcass and the remains for soup.

Andy M. 11-22-2004 10:29 PM

Buy a larger turkey (about 12 pounds is considered the best size) and have the butcher cut it in half with his power saw. He can cut it while it's still frozen.

You can stuff and roast half now and keep the other half frozen to be cooked later.

Sue Lau 11-23-2004 10:55 AM

It's not the same as turkey, but for two you could make an attractive presentation and romantic dinner with cornish hens and some sort of savory glaze or sauce. Then again, there's always duck. Not much on those. :lol:

Otter 11-23-2004 11:04 AM

Our local stores have breast (white meat) and leg/thigh (dark meat) available separately. White meat is preferred by the majority of people, so your local meat person might be willing to cut some dark for you if they don't sell it separately.