Leftover biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
When I'm in the mood for sausage gravy and biscuits I buy a container of Pillsbury Grands. The store I shop does not have the smaller half size container. Can you help me be creative with all the leftover biscuits?
I was thinking breakfast sandwiches, but they seem too small for that, even though they are a larger biscuit. I also don't necessarily want to plan when I'm making chicken soup or stew with when I want sausage gravy.... I was thinking I could drop the biscuits in. Do they freeze well for this purpose? They seem pretty one dimensional.

Any ideas?

Sprinkle them with a little sugar before baking, then split and top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream for strawberry shortcake.

Nothing wrong with small breakfast sandwiches ;) The fillings are usually not extremely healthy - eggs are, but breakfast meats and cheese are high in fat. Have some fruit on the side and it should be satisfying.

HTH.

Hmmmm, I like strawberries. I never buy any, but I like them when I get them. That might be an idea. I could use them up for desserts. Thanks.
BTW, I cook them all at once, so the sugar sprinkling will have to be for reheating them or something.
Do I have to cook them all at once? I was under the impression I did, but maybe I can save some for later?

Hmmmm, I like strawberries. I never buy any, but I like them when I get them. That might be an idea. I could use them up for desserts. Thanks.
BTW, I cook them all at once, so the sugar sprinkling will have to be for reheating them or something.
Do I have to cook them all at once? I was under the impression I did, but maybe I can save some for later?

No, you don't have to cook them all at once; you can cover some, refrigerate them for a day or two, and then bake them. But even if you did, you can sprinkle some with sugar, and not others, and the baked ones will also keep for a few days. You can put them in a toaster oven or a dry skillet for a few minutes to crisp them up again.

I'm pretty sure you do have to cook them when you open them.

We have the same predicament here. I generally just wrap them in a paper towel and warm them in the nuke, and we have them with another meal. I love them with butter and honey or apple butter.

You might want to check out Pillsbury frozen biscuits. They come in a bag and you can take out however many you want to bake and put the rest of the bag back into the freezer. We've had them at our house when the son was living here because he liked to have them for a snack. They were pretty good. They are always good warmed up with a touch of butter and honey just for a snack! Also, you don't have to stick to breakfast sandwiches. Fill them with whatever you like in a sandwich. Chicken salad, tuna salad, turkey, ham, whatever.

They make frozen ones?
Geesh, what have I been screwing around with these for then :LOL:

Of course, then I run into the use them up or get freezer burn problem :wacko:

If you had some raw dough left over, ball it together, then roll it out flat. Place some shredded cheese/minced olives/diced ham/seasonings/whatever floats your boat on one side. Then fold over like a calzone and press the edges together with a fork. Bake in a 350 oven until the biscuit is golden brown.

Caveat: I have not done this myself.

I know it says not to freeze on the biscuit container, but that's because the tube will rupture says my SIL.

She routinely bakes half and freezes half of the tube of biscuits.

Good point Jennyema. If you can freeze bread dough for later, why not repackage these biscuits and freeze them for later.
I think I'm going to give that a try, along with looking for those frozen ones.

One of the pitfalls of cooking for yourself I guess.

What's a "leftover biscuit"??? Never seen one.

Might be more effort than you want Pacanis but have you tried making Bisquick biscuits? they are YUMMY, easy, and would probably freeze just fine. I make them with cheddar and garlic....

Or you can just pack up your extras and put them in the mail.....
:)

I'd freeze them and pull out what you need for a meal be it gravy at breakfast or stew at dinner.

I actually have some bisquick
I use it if I don't have the other kind :LOL:

Use only what you need for one meal and put the rest in the refrigerator for one or two days. Remember to rest the dough when you put it out the next day for another meal which for me will consist perhaps of cooked fillings of meat and vegie and/or just washed, dried well, spinach. Spread the dough, put your fillings in and roll with the fillings inside. Baked in a 350°F till brown at the top, like a biscuit but with fillings.

If you had some raw dough left over, ball it together, then roll it out flat. Place some shredded cheese/minced olives/diced ham/seasonings/whatever floats your boat on one side. Then fold over like a calzone and press the edges together with a fork. Bake in a 350 oven until the biscuit is golden brown.

That reminds me - Pacanis, you could make a variation of pigs in a blanket. Cut a hot dog into pieces that will fit in the biscuit, cut a slit in the dog pieces and insert a piece of cheese, roll it all up in the biscuit, and bake. You can also use those little sausages for this, too, but beware - they're addictive :-p

pacanis.... I refer to myslef as the queen of mini-sammies. I love them and they are fun to make. As for left-over biscuits.... well, you could cut them in half, add a bit of butter or mayo, and grill in hot pan. Then top with hamburger meat... or any meat for that matter. I make mini hamburgers all the time and are one of my favorites. But I usually use the Hawaiian sweet rolls for that. Or make some chipped beef gravy and use the biscuits for that...... I think you got some good ideas form the folks here!!!

I just put them in the freezer. I'll pull them out as needed and see what the texture and taste is like. Cutting them in half and frying a little sounds like it could bring them back to life. I know that when I freeze buns (before I think they are going to mold), I need to toast them on the grill a bit to get rid of that "freezer taste".
Those little hot dog things sound like a great snack.

I certainly got some good ideas here to play around with. Thanks everyone.

You should really make your own. It's only a tiny bit more involved than what you're already doing, and you can infuse cheese and whatnot IN TO the dough :)

Or, if you don't want to completely home-made, get some Bisquick and do it with that!

A breakfast side to your sausage gravy would be doughnuts. Heat about 2 inches of oil to 375, punch a hole in the middle of the biscuit, drop into the oil for 90 seconds, flip for another 60, drain on a towel and toss with sugar. Not healthy but hey, you're already having sausage gravy. When we have it [sausage gravy] for breakfast, it's a no rules morning and calories don't count. :)

Back
Top Bottom