About that fish poacher that I want ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
So I commonly see an 18 inch size; it just seems overkill for my family size and needs. Does anyone know of a small one?

Think I should improvise with an asparagus steamer instead?

sigh...it's a whle thing....i think a poacher is the solution for us ... have spent untold time searching

on google,. mozilla, and yahoo:

steamer
poacher
fish steamer
fish poacher
asparagus steamer
oval steamer
oblong steamer
horizntal steamer
horizontal pacher

to no avail..................

generally a fish poacher is 18" or longer to handle a good sized fish. Smaller fish can be poached in a baking or saute pan. The "reason" for the fish poacher is to reduce the amount of liquid one needs to prepare for a larger fish. If you find the pan too long, poach two fish at once and save one for salad or chowder another day.

Andy, I don't want to pay to ship something from overseas. I'd like to see it though.

Yeah, I gave up on getting a super small one. I asked the store nearby to get me one, and it's the same price as those online so that's where I'm headed tonite, to check it out.

Smaller Fish

Unless you're doing a whole fish, I'd avoid poacher pans. They are exceedingly expensive for a pot you may rarely use. I've looked at them from time to time, given up & just use saute pans. ;)

From what I have seen, 18-inch is the small size fish poacher. In addition to the fish poachers reducing the amount of poaching liquid because of its shape, like robo mentioned, they have a rack that allows you to remove a whole fish without breaking it up. Removing small fish from a sauté pan would not be a problem using a fish spatula/turner.

Back
Top Bottom