Need help with herb gardening...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to start an herb garden. The herbs I'm interested in growing are these:

I plan to grow the herb garden in Florida, so if possible advice on the aspect of southern herb gardening in detail would be much appreciated.

Marjoram
Parsley
cilantro
chives
rosemary
basil
lavender
thyme
sage

I plan to grow the herbs from seed. Regarding the above list, which of the herbs grow best in hot weather, and which grow best in cold/cool weather?

I just really need a straightforward answer regarding this. Which grow best in fall and/or spring, and which are best suited to grow in summer?

Last edited:
Spring/Summer: Sage, thyme, chives, cilantro, parsley.

Basil can be grown indoors on a window sill any time of year. I think my rosemary died off last winter.

I'm in Zone 8 and I grow chives, rosemary, thyme, and usually sage year-round. Parsley is a summer biennial - you will get leaves the first year, and the second year it goes to seed. Cilantro is a cool-weather plant; you can probably grow it through the winter in FL. I haven't had luck with basil in the winter, but I guess others have.

I tried to grow lavender once - it didn't last long. I'm not sure why. I've never grown marjoram - it's too bland for me :) I like oregano - it also grows year-round here.

You can grow any of the things you want, listed above,
except lavender,(too hot) especially if you are growing in containers.
The one thing I might caution is, try to get them in some shade for part of the day (afternoon, when it's hottest would be best)
Again, with anything grown, do your research, and when you see where they are native, mimick that, and you'll do fine.

The one thing I forgot to add is;
every package of seed you buy for your area will only be appropriate for your area, for your time of year, and will tell you how to plant.
Usually outside vendors stock those seed packets, and pull them when the season is expired. So if you can't find some, that's why.
Also, each packet has an expiration date on it. If you do not need all the seeds, put the remaining packet in an airtight container, in a cool, dark, dry place. They can still be used later.
As for starting with plants;
again, only the appropriate plants are available, at the approp. time for your area.
In the BIG BOX stores, outside vendors stock them as well.

I've got a GREAT cilantro story. I tried and tried to grow it in Florida, but it bolted as soon as it came up. Then one day, hubby was mowing the lawn and came in with ... well, something he knew was not grass. Cilantro. Honestly, that plant lived for years! He'd mow it down and it kept on coming on. I never could make cilantro live in my herb garden! Here I was amazed that after a particularly harsh winter, my cilantro volunteered and I made a great pesto-type sauce for thai curries (i.e., cilantro, peanuts, garlic, etc) and one for Mex type meals (cilantro, garlic, olive oil, etc). What fun!

Back
Top Bottom