Bacon better for you than tilapia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heh heh heh. Certainly did...especially since I happened to be munching on a piece of bacon at the time!

I saw this this morning on the local news. I don't necessarily eat everything for the benificials, but for the enjoyment. So no big deal for me. Unless you want to replace one for the other (bacon for tilapia) in a recipe.
YIK!

That really stinks.
Tilapia and catfish are two new favorites of mine.
Oh well, gonna stop worrying about it and just eat.

:pig: well i do pay attention to stuff like that. since I assume complete responsibility for my health (read that to mean she has no health insurance;)), i I eat foods that I think promote my health....she says heading off to purchase a large quantity of local blueberries...:)

There are actually other good reasons to avoid tilapia. Most frozen tilapia sold in the U.S. is farm-raised in China, which has very poor environmental practices. Much of the tilapia raised there is polluted with nasty stuff I don't want to eat. I've already switched to other kinds of white fish.

So I stink at math...

excerpt from Chinese fish crisis shows seafood safety challenges - USATODAY.com

Malachite green, the anti-fungal, is another matter. The chemical dye battles fish parasites and fungal infections. Lab tests have showed increased cancer rates in rats and mice fed malachite green and leucomalachite green, which is formed from malachite green, at doses ranging from 100 to 600 parts per million for two years.

Last year, the FDA restricted imports of eel from China after FDA tests found that 91% of those sampled contained leucomalachite green — some at levels up to 3,239 parts per billion. "That level was disturbingly high," says Kraemer.

Can someone please take the parts per million and parts per billion and make the both parts per million or billion so we idjits can wrap our brain around it?

I seem to think that 3239 parts per Billion would be 3.2 million parts per million...huh?

Guess I will have to contemplate my piscatorial consumption sources. PAH.

Dont tell this to my DH.....
He doesn't eat fish or seafood, but make bacon and he does anything, including dishes!!

There are actually other good reasons to avoid tilapia. Most frozen tilapia sold in the U.S. is farm-raised in China, which has very poor environmental practices. Much of the tilapia raised there is polluted with nasty stuff I don't want to eat. I've already switched to other kinds of white fish.

What other white fish do you prefer ?

I don't care how available/cheap tilapia is these days. It tastes like nothing. To answer your question, Lady C - I prefer trout and lake perch.

p.s. and I love bacon it all its greasy glory.

I don't care how available/cheap tilapia is these days. It tastes like nothing. To answer your question, Lady C - I prefer trout and lake perch.

p.s. and I love bacon it all its greasy glory.

Brook Trout, Yellow Perch, Rock Bass, Rainbow Trout under 20 inches long. You're singing to me MB.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I couldn't follow the MSNBC link, says it expired, so I did a Google search and found this link from Science Daily detailing the study mentioned by MSNBC:
Popular Fish, Tilapia, Contains Potentially Dangerous Fatty Acid Combination

Apparently this is of special concern to people with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other allergic and auto-immune diseases that are particularly vulnerable to an "exaggerated inflammatory response".

Sorry guys, but this still doesn't mean bacon is good for you, just that it actually has less of a detrimental effect on those with an inflammatory disease than farm raised Tilapia. They also included farm raised catfish in the study. So if you have these diseases they say don't use farm raised Tilapia or farm raised catfish as part of your program to help control it.

Thanks for that Maverick, I couldn't open GotGarlic's link either. I'm for bagging any seafood imported from anywhere in Asia, their quality control is nowhere near our standards, besides, I've seen many in our seafood industry fold because they can't compete with them.

The problem is not China's tilapia but everywhere that is it produced seems to be a by-product fish from raising other fish. They use the tilapia to eat the seperated waste from other farm raised fish. They are bottom feeders like catfish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom