ISO help thin crust pizza dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nubcake

Assistant Cook
hi,
i really need to solve my problem on my thin crust pizza, my dough would end up dry and the edges doesnt brown (remains white).

thank you.
N.

oh okay, here's the recipe and method.:)

dough:
1 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine water, yeast, and flour.
Mix well. Add oil,salt.
Knead.
Let rise for an hour. (at a dry area)
Knead again.
Bake at 300 for about 15mins

I use store bought dough, But I know the instructions there say to bake at 450 F for about 10-15 min +/- a few .

I also use a stone or perforated pizza pan and the crust comes out nice.

Ive tried making my dough in the past , and its just too messy and unpredictable for me. So now i just spend the $1.29 and get the pre-made dough, roll it, bake it ....

I have been using this reipe I found in NY Times. Turns out very well. Also, I cook all pizza on my gas grill. Apparently I can't post the URL because I don't over post as much as others. I'm sure a search of their website will bring it up for you.

oh okay, here's the recipe and method.:)

dough:
1 cup warm water
1 pkg yeast
2 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine water, yeast, and flour.
Mix well. Add oil,salt.
Knead.
Let rise for an hour. (at a dry area)
Knead again.
Bake at 300 for about 15mins
Try 375 in a well preheated oven on a pizza stone which will be up to about 400 for 20 minutes.

For my thin crust pizza I use a stone and

heat my oven to 550. It only takes 5 to 6 minutes for cheese pizza, another minute or 2 for pizzas with extra toppings.

Baking pizza at 300 degrees is far too low to brown the crust and cook the pizza properly. I have been making pizza for years and have several books on the subject. They all recommend a temp no lower than 425 for pizza and for an average of 10 minutes. I keep mine at 475-500. You may notice that the pizza parlors keep their temps around 700 to 900 degrees. Wood fired pizza ovens are kept no lower than 750 so take a lesson from the pros. Raise the temp and be sure to bake your pizza on the lowest rack postion. It helps to have a pizza stone so that the crust will brown beauifully. Heat the stone at 500 for about 1 hour. Perfect pizza every time. Can't argue with success.:)

Yes cook the pizza crust at a higher temperature and for a shorter time, and this is what I do:
I coat the pan (when I use one, or at least when I press it out), with olive oil, then with some corn meal, it gives it a good texture. Then top it while pressing it out with olive oil and corn meal. Now you have a slight thin dough between two layers of olive oil and corn meal. When you cook it then it will brown nicely. I prebake my pizza crusts and then finish cooking them with the toppings.
~blissful

I use a similar pizza dough recipe, and occasionally substitute some whole wheat flour for part of the white. I use a bit more oil, and brush oil on the crust before I dress it. Bake on a stone in a pre-heated 500° F. oven.

Back
Top Bottom