Chicken In Buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Cop

Assistant Cook
I heard that soaking chicken in Buttermilk over night adds flavor to the bird...Is this true, and is over night too long??

That's waht I was planning on doing, but I misread the recipie, I ws supposed to leave it overnight in a brine, then put it in buttermilk before breading. I was afraid over night would be too long.

Thanks!

I have left boneless skinless breasts in buttermilk for 3 days and they were fine. On the 4th day I marinated in a teriyaki/pineapple/white wine/garlic/ginger mixture. They were the most tender I have ever had!

once I started making my fried chicken with buttermilk I havent been able to make it any other way since! I season my buttermilk with crushed rosemary and spices and let it soak overnight! Perfect everytime IMO.... :)

I'm bringing this thread up again, as I was just watching 'Everyday Food', on PBS. They were marinating chicken breast-bone in. I've always done this - just because. Mom did it, grandma did it. Mom always said she loved buttermilk. I buy a quart just for the chicken and threaten to drink the little bit leftover, but for some reason have never been able to. I just can't get past the thought of a sour tasting milk. So the remainder usually gets dumped after sitting about a week in the fridge.
Can someone even try to give me an idea of the taste? I love sour cream, and love flavored yogurts, cottage cheese and mozzerella, which I think all have a somewhat sour/tart taste.
I'm in the mood to make some chicken again, after watching the show, but again there's the issue of the leftover milk.

...or a buttermilk ranch dressing.

I don't like buttermilk but I like things made with buttermilk. It's a flavor I can't describe - it's certainly not like "soured" i.e, has turned bad, milk...it's...well....there's a technical term............oh yea....it's ick! :rolleyes:

chicken in buttermilk

I have chicken thighs in buttermilk right now and don't plan to use them for at least two days and then not all at once. It is acidic enough to subdue nasty bugs . unused buttermilk can be used for pancakes ,biscuits -or taken orally -it is good for you , it is sour like real yogurt ( not like commercial yogurt/pudding ) not rotten , like yogurt the shelf life is long because the lactose has been converted. You won't like to read this but in hot sub sahara countries fresh milk is made into a burrermilk like liquid , the milk women simply spit into a batch of fresh milk and wait . fresh milk would rot very quickly. gage

I remember reading somewhere that you can substitute buttermilk with regular milk mixed with vinegar. does that give you an idea as to the taste?

My advice, just try it. Take a little sip. Try a second sip, because you never get the full flavor on the first try.

I remember trying it in a home ec. class years ago and not liking it, but everyone's tastes are different.

kitchenelf, that teriyaki/pineapple thing sounds like it would give the chicken a flavor that would just be out of this world. :)

Back
Top Bottom