Slicing beef thinly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chicouk

Assistant Cook
What is the best way to slice beef really thinly without using a meat slicer. I heard that partially freezin a joint of beef and slicing it with a knife is the best way but i am not particually that great witha knife.

I have a japanese madolin slicer for vegetables (VERY SHARP), do you think i would be able to use this to slice my beef?

I don't think the mandolin will work on beef. You can certainly give it a try if you want.

Freezing partially is the best way. It firms up the raw meat so it is easier to make thin uniform slices. use a longer, sharp blade and try to slice through the meat with the fewest strokes possible. That is, one long pull of the knife should separate one slice from the joint. If not try for two strokes to make a slice.

I believe a mandolin MIGHT work if you freeze the beef fully (depending on the cut of beef). The only problem you come across is meats contain connective tissues wheras veggies do not. I used to use meat slicer to cut frozen tenderloin but the only problem i came across is that after the frozen meat thaws it becomes VERY fragile. The reason for this is because ice crystals may form inside the cut and damage cell structure. Not good if your trying to go for presentation, but not bad if your making something that doesnt depend on looks like hamburger. Of course the best way will always be with knife and hand!

I partially freeze it, and then use a very sharp, long slicer.

However, my mom used to take hers to the butcher and have him slice it for her on his slicer..... that works, without freezing. :)

oh, yeah, dh looooved our meat slicer. sadly it died a few years back and it's like a $100 item to replace. meat was never thin enough after that. :(

Hi Chicouk,
I'm also a fan of the semi freeze method, but as has been mentioned, you really need a sharp knife. Why don't you take one of your knives and have it sharpened professionally, (it only costs about $5.00 in my area). Then practice your knife skills slicing your beef. Practice makes perfect and good knife skills will make all of your food prep much easier.

Got to go with the semi frozen beef, very sharp knife, and practice. I have tried the mandoline with poor results.

I have an old Rival slicer. Semi-frozen beef slices thin enough for good Philly cheesesteaks. I usually place 3-4 slices between wax paper, bag and freeze the rest of the way. Take 'em back out of the freezer as needed, and fry HOT and fast with thin-sliced onions, turn once and top with provolone. Put the results in an Italian roll and top with a little Marinara.

Hi all,

First timer here on this forum.

I have a frozen chunk of beef chuck that I would like to slice thinly for shabu. I was going to do the mandolin idea but might reconsider.

What is the amount of time per pound to defrost in the fridge (or should I defrost in room temperature?) to achieve the right hardness to be able to cut with a knife or mandolin?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom