Do toads usually dig up things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
Just went to check on my zukes, I had 1 of those and 1 yellow squash plant that were no longer rooted, something had dug them up, but they were just resting on top of thier spot.... if they weren't dead you couldn't tell they had been dug out.
I picked one up and a little toad was burrowed in there.
Did he do it or just find a nice cool place to hang that some other thing had made?

No I'd say a mole or squirrel or even bird got at them.
Nice cool moist environment for the toad though, and bugs for them also.
In almost destroying your plants, the may have notified you of a possible critter/grub problem, or the may have taken a beneficial worm away. Who knows.
Replant, water in, well, and see what happens.

Toads are cold blooded. Just as they dig into the ground to keep from freezing in the winter, they will also burrow into the soil to keep cool in the summer.

My diggers here are raccoons and opossums. They will dig the hole and leave. I think most of my problem is they are digging for grubs or the ground bee nests so they dig in the garden and the yard. If the soil is disturbed then the toads will make a nice home! Good luck.

The toad was probably just hiding there, it wouldn't have any reason to be digging up vegetables. (And it probably couldn't have depending on how small it is).

Back
Top Bottom