The amazing Google

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knight76

Senior Cook
So here I am bored at work again. I am just randomly browsing the internet and started reading about the forbes rich list. Then briefly read about William Gates III. Finally, I looked at the youngest members of the list and found the Google co creators.

Then wiki's Google and found some interesting stuff, for instance:

Did you know the google search box is a calculator. You can type in whatever mathematical problem you want and it will give you the answer.

For example: typing in 100+15 returns the result of 115. Though I am sure it can be used for much more complex calculations.

Also, did you also know that the google search engine can be used for currency conversion. No need to bother finding a specific website to accomplish this, just type in 1 AUD in USD returns a result of 0.9679 (yes, we are happy about that by the way). Also, if you type in currency of Australia, it will give you the currency conversion to USD

But wait, there is more.

If you know the stock exchange abbreviation for any stock just type that into google and get the current quote. Type goog.

Just type in time followed by the city you need to know the time for and it will give you the local time there.

Google can be used as a word dictionary by typing in define (and then the word you want defined) to see the meaning of that word.

It also does weather forecasts, just type in weather (and then a city, state abbreviation eg, weather new york, ny) and it will give you the weather forecast. Or Weather Sydney, Australia

And finally for us foodies. It can convert some measurements. For instance:

Type 500ml in pints to get the conversion.

And will convert celcius to fahrenheit and the other way.

Type 100 celcius in fahrenheit

I just find all this very amazing.

Last edited:
Glad your finding your time at work productive. Thanks for the info.

Lol, very productive.

Try typing in movies followed by your city, state to get a list of movies showing, then click on one to get to the cinemas showing it and the times of the sessions.

Or want to find a Pizza store somewhere, type in pizza new york,ny , or italian new york, ny for italian restaurants etc. You can also click on the reviews to the right to see reviews of that restaurant.

Most of this stuff works in Australia also.

Last edited:
I had no idea! knight, this is such great info!!

Thank you for your boredom at work!

(btw, how 'bout googling "next week's winning lottery numbers........:LOL:)

I've known about this last year and had been using google as my calculator and conversion because I have some recipes from other countries, e.g., Australia, that I need to make for the cook challenge. For instance, US 1 tbsp = 3 tsp Australian. I've always like google...I even have their mail...

I've known about this last year and had been using google as my calculator and conversion because I have some recipes from other countries, e.g., Australia, that I need to make for the cook challenge. For instance, US 1 tbsp = 3 tsp Australian. I've always like google...I even have their mail...

Actually, US 1 tbsp = US 3 tsp, too :)

Whatever you want to know, Google can answer it for you. I Google several times a day. If I'm reading something and want to better understand what I'm reading, I get up and Google. I was watching a show on BBC and the woman said the man weighed 28 stone. HUH! So I google, "convert 28 stone to pounds" and the answer came up 392 lbs.

If I want a recipe I google whatever I'm looking for. On and on and on whatever you want to know - Google. Did you know that Google is a variation of the word "googol" that is a number - a one followed by 100 zeros. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
Give or take a zero or two. :LOL: There are over 100 billion bits of information on Google. Now you can take that to your next dinner party.

Last edited:
i use it often as well. earlier googled for a button fastener made of thread. and there was the info.

last night i googled, scott peterson site. he is in prison for murdering his wife and unborn child. happened here in so calif. the site is for his appeal.

so it runs the gambit for me

babe :cool:

You can also restrict your searches to certain domains by using “site:xxx”. This comes in handy when you are trying to narrow the results down to pertinent studies or medical information such as “heart site:gov”.

You can use the same technique to search only a specific web site such as “Cherry Pie site:www.discusscooking.com” will give you only results for Cherry Pie from DC.

Another neat thing is when you’re browsing a site (any site), you can highlight any word by dragging the cursor over it with the left mouse button held down. Then right click on the highlighted word and you get options such as Google Search on that highlighted word or even translate it.

...Another neat thing is when you’re browsing a site (any site), you can highlight any word by dragging the cursor over it with the left mouse button held down. Then right click on the highlighted word and you get options such as Google Search on that highlighted word or even translate it.

Just tried it on this page and it didn't work for me.

That one depends on the browser you are using. I use Opera and have to highlight, right click, then go to Search with..., then google.

Oh and you hitchhikers Guide fans should search for What is the answer to life the universe and everything?

Last edited:
One of my best friends works for Google and always tells me these little Googlie things! I must say, if you can get past all the interviews its a great company to work for. :)

It may depend on your browser and what plugins you have installed. Here at home, my click comes to a Yahoo search instead of a Google search.

34i4e9e.jpg

My cousin just got a job offer from Google. He is a smart cookie who graduated with a masters in Mathematics from University of Chicago.

He interviewed and had to wait for 3 weeks because the CEOs review every offer that is made.

He will be working on quality of search performance. They gave him huge mathematical tables to crack during his interview. He also told me that the environment at google is more like a university campus and most people are total geeks.

No wonder they give Microsoft a reason to worry. It's a good search engine and with everything they are doing including Google 411 (if you have not heard about it you should check it out) they are here to stay.

For those who don't know

GOOG-411 (or Google Voice Local Search) is a tool that allows users to make a business search in any U.S. or Canadian city by calling a toll-free telephone number.

Completely free with no advertising. Info from Wikipedia. Apparently Google are using it to hone their voice recognition software.

So here I am bored at work again. I am just randomly browsing the internet and started reading about the forbes rich list. Then briefly read about William Gates III. Finally, I looked at the youngest members of the list and found the Google co creators.

Then wiki's Google and found some interesting stuff, for instance:

Did you know the google search box is a calculator. You can type in whatever mathematical problem you want and it will give you the answer.

For example: typing in 100+15 returns the result of 115. Though I am sure it can be used for much more complex calculations.

Also, did you also know that the google search engine can be used for currency conversion. No need to bother finding a specific website to accomplish this, just type in 1 AUD in USD returns a result of 0.9679 (yes, we are happy about that by the way). Also, if you type in currency of Australia, it will give you the currency conversion to USD

But wait, there is more.

If you know the stock exchange abbreviation for any stock just type that into google and get the current quote. Type goog.

Just type in time followed by the city you need to know the time for and it will give you the local time there.

Google can be used as a word dictionary by typing in define (and then the word you want defined) to see the meaning of that word.

It also does weather forecasts, just type in weather (and then a city, state abbreviation eg, weather new york, ny) and it will give you the weather forecast. Or Weather Sydney, Australia

And finally for us foodies. It can convert some measurements. For instance:

Type 500ml in pints to get the conversion.

And will convert celcius to fahrenheit and the other way.

Type 100 celcius in fahrenheit

I just find all this very amazing.

**You can also track the status of flights. For example, just type in Delta Fight 5778.

**You can also Google tracking numbers for UPS, FedEx, and USPS just by entering the number (e.g. 1Z14662R0340419XXX).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom