Peruvian Recipes Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyPiece

Senior Cook
In this thread Im going to post traditional Criolla and Peruvian dishes. Influences include Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and African techniques and ingredients. Lots of rice! Almost every dish is served with white rice. You can spice up the rice though with garlic, ginger, mango, peas and carrots or whatever you like!

Ive really been inspired by the cooking here. Most dishes are prepared quickly and simply focusing on a freshness of ingredients. There are no heavy, french style sauces, no thick dressings overpowering the natural flavors of vegetables. For the most part they are just simple....and simply delicious!

First up Im going to preview.........

Lomo Saltado: (Lomo Fino if tenderloin is used)

To Serve 4:

1-1 1/2 Lb flank steak, cut into stips
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into eights
1 Large red onion, julienned
1 Yellow Chili pepper (Aji Amarillo), julienned
2 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
3 Teeth of garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/8 C Light, Chinese soy sauce
Red White for marinade (OPTIONAL, not typical here)
S & P to your liking
French Fries enough for 4
White rice (spiced up how you like it!)

Preparation:

0. Start preparing your rice and french fries before you start cooking the main part of this dish as it will only take about 5-7 minutes to be done!!

1. Over high flame heat the oil and give the steak a quick sear. Remove the steak from the pan and set aside.
2. Toss in your tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic and aji pepper. Saute briefly until heated through.
3. Return the beef to the pan. Deglaze by adding the red wine vinegar and swirling briefly.
4. Add the soy sauce to the pan and cook until most of the moistre has evaporated (Au Sec as those people who wear those silly white hats would say.) :chef:
5. Serve over top of the french fries and with a side of rice. IF you´re feeling fancy go ahead and garish with a little piece of Cilantro.

You´re Done! Que rrrrrrrrrriiiiiicooooooooo!

Feedback always appreciated!

Thanks,
Tyler

Well the yellow aji isnt as spicy as the red one. I find it to have a sweet taste at first followed by a little heat. Roasting it, however, brings out a good amount of heat. There is also another pepper here that looks like a red-bell pepper call a rocoto. Theyre pretty spicy too. The only way you can tell the difference is it has a darker and much thinner stem than a bell. Its typical to pick the red peppers here just slightly under-ripe so they are still a little green so people dont get the two mixed up!

By request todays recipe is.........

Ceviche Classica

To Serve 6:

1 Lb Lean white fish fillets, cut into bite sized pieces (Sea Bass, Sole, Flounder, John Dory, Mahimahi)
*To make Ceviche Mixto you can use any other type of seafood (squid, octopus, shimp, shellfish...)
2 Large red onions, julienned
2 Red chili peppers, cut into confetti
3 Teeth of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped fine
Pinch or two of sugar
S & P to your liking
2 C Key Lime juice (or enough to cover almost completely)
1/2 C Evaporated Milk
6 or 7 Sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and sliced
6 Ears of corn, peeled and cooked
Boston bibb or other type of sweet lettuce, for garnish
* In Peru they use a large kerneled starchy corn called Choclo. This corn is also removed from the cob, toasted and salted and served along with ceviche.

Prepartion:

1. Stir together, lime juice, cilantro, chili, garlic and sugar
2. Season the fish with salt and pepper
3. Place fish and onions in a pan or bowl and cover with juice mixture (or marinate seperately). The juice needs to reach all parts ot the fish to do its job.
4. Marinate the fish for about 2 to 3 hours. It will turn from clear white to milky white all the way when the juice has penetrated thouroughly.
5. Drain the fish when it has "cooked" completely through and toss lightly in the evaporated milk. This is the secret to overcoming the powerful acidity of all that lime juice. You wont find this part in many ceviche recipes.
6. Place a leaf of lettuce on the plate. Portion some ceviche and onion into it
7. Serve with a side of corn and sweet potatoes

LISTO!

thanks a lot.

I haven't seen a recipe with milk in it, I thought the 'tiger's milk' described the milky liquid formed by the marination.

Would you marinate for longer? I have made ceviche with shell fish as well as white fish, but, I gently cooked prawns, oysters and scallops. I have also added a little mint and fresh ginger, it seemed to work.

thanks

now what about escabeche of chicken??

I guess how long you marinate it really depends how thick a cut you´re using. Personally, if I knew I was using fish from a safe source, I would probably only marinate it for 1 and a half to two hours so its still a little raw in the middle. Thats just personal preference though. But here they make sure its penetrated through to kill any parasites. Ginger and mint sound delicious as well. Some times here they serve it with seaweed.
Leche de Tigre is supposed to be very effective at curing hangovers as well.

Ill post an escabeche recipe in a few days when I get home and get settled. Im flying out from Lima tonight..........

Back
Top Bottom