Pickling Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ive always loved pickles. From the early cucumbery-slightly pickled stage all the way to the heavily pickled-garlicky stage. I cant resist eating them, hence my problem.

When I make pickles, I need to taste them each day. Partially to see how the pickling process is going along ( need to add a little, salt, vinegar or whatever). And partially just because they are irresistible. The problem is, by the time they reach the desired end product that i was going for, there are few if any left :ohmy: . Does anyone else have this problem? or is it just me ?

You dont understand, to this day, me and my brother still have verbal and sometimes even physical fights over who will get the last pickle when we eat dinner at my mothers house ( olives too). I just love them .

The only problem you have is that you haven't made enough of them to last the year. (she who has 40+ more jars of pickles left from last year)
Find tried and true recipes you enjoy and either have a big garden of cucumbers or buy them by the pound from a farmer (that's what I did last year) and make pickles.
I wish I'd have made more sweet pickles, everyone seemed to like those much better than my 3 recipes of dill pickles. I might only make sweet pickles this year. They make good gifts too.

Fortunately I don't make the brined variety of pickles, otherwise I think I would have the same problem. I do the quicker method, sometimes even using the Ball or Mrs Wages mixes, and get them canned and put away for several months so I'm not tempted. Of course I do them almost every month so there are always jars coming of age and they get opened and inhaled.

lol. funny funny story. I've been dying to try my hand at making my own pickles, but DW has nixed the idea so far.

LIAR!!! all I see around the house is you saving jars for this and jars for that...about time you use them. They are taking up valuable space that I could be storing other things like bakeware....

My mother actually goes to the extent to Hide the pickles and olives somewhere in the house until dinner time. Her latest hiding spot is in her car which is parked in the garage.

And u have to understand that my brother ( in his 40's ) and me ( in my almost 40's) can easily go out and spring the $3 for a jar of pickles or the $1.50 for olives. But there is something about having them served to us from mom, and the pushing and shoving matches which have gone on for the past 40 years. When they finally make it to the table, we fight over which way the plate full of pickles are going to be passed around the table.

We have been thinking of getting into this as well. Mom and dad did some when we were growing up. Dill, B&B, and sweet pickles that were the best on burgers and dogs.

Back
Top Bottom