Food Mill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I have seen these used quite a bit on Food Network recently and was thinking about getting one. Does anyone have one and do you use it? What do you use it for?

I got one last year to grind tomatoes. My tomato plants spit out a surplus of fruit and so I roasted them and grind them up as tomato sauce. Really a nice thing to have around... but can't say that I have used it since then.

I have one and hardly use it anymore. When I had a vegetable garden , I would use it for tomatoes.

Id like to get one. Ive used them in school and in a restaurant environment. Its good for making really creamy mashed potatoes, pureeing soups or basically fruits or veggies (usually cooked) you want to pulverize into mush. If you use it to puree fruits or veggies it does a good job of seperating the flesh from skin.

Last edited:
I have my mother's very old one.
When I lived up north, and had a huge garden, I would
mill the tomatoes for sauce to keep the seeds out, and berries.
Now I only use it when I make chicken soup. I make the soup and put some broth and meat in a bowl for the dog, then I mill some of the carrots and celery up and put it in the broth. He won't eat the carrots pieces, but he'll lick the broth up, lickity (ha!) split.

I have one and can't remember the last time I used it. It's great for separating pulp from the skin and seeds of things such as tomatoes and apples.

My mother uses hers to make luscious apple sauce every year.

Lee

Oxo makes a good one. I use it for tomatoes, potatoes (white and sweet) , some folks use it for fruits etc. Can be a very handy tool.

We use ours almost exclusively for making applesause (trees in the back...) and we picked it up at TRUE VALUE Hardware for like $30-35. We shopped on line and could not believe how expensive they were! I see ours being passed on to future generations. It seems to be well built.

I wanted one for making baby food, but my kids never liked the very finely mashed stuff..... they wanted chunks!!!!
a fork or a sieve worked just fine.
I still want one, just becasue I have a kitchen gadget addiction, and I have 2-3 recipes that say I need one.
:)

I'm a Tim Taylor kind of guy, so I like more power and anything I can do by machine is better. I use the puree attachment for my KitchenAid and it works great.
The issue is that with the puree attachment, you don't have an item that removes skin. The food mill removes the skin while giving you the inside of the potato, tomato, or other fruit you are putting in it. So, really, for what this machine does, power tools aren't appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom