Questions about growing things in Florida.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I plan to start a cool weather vegetable garden. Currently the things I want to grow in it are:

lettuce (romaine)
spinach
carrots
scallions
onion
cabbage
sugar snap peas
broccoli

I know there are two varieties of onions with gardening, long day and short day. One needs more hours of sunlight then another. I know with the types of onions, there are generally three different varieties: red, yellow (sweet), and white. However, which variety is best suited to grow in Florida: red, yellow, or white? I'd like to grow either yellow or red.

Also, I've run across two varieties of peas that can be grown in Florida:southern cow and regular peas (English peas). According to a planting guide I've found for southern Florida, English peas are supposed to be grown September-February, and southern peas are supposed to be grown February-April. Are sugar snap peas classified as English peas or southern peas?

The other question I have is about tomatoes. Once again, this is in reference to the planting guide I'm using; it says tomatoes can be grown in August-March in Southern Florida. Is this true? I don't want a huge tomato variety or a tiny tomato variety (like cherry or grape). Somebody recommended to me using a dwarf variety of tomato; what size tomatoes would this plant yield? Would you recommend planting this variety of tomato in Florida? Can somebody recommend a good all-purpose tomato that is relatively easy and simple to grow? Suggestions would be much appreciated regarding this.Can I just use a trellis to train the vines of the tomato plant? I don't plan to grow the tomatoes as part of my plot or in a raised bed, but rather I just have in mind to grow them in 5 gallon containers.

Last edited:
You do not say where in Florida you are! I lived right on or about the freeze line, near Daytona. All of the ones you mention were great winter crops EXCEPT those that can not take a frost (lettuce in particular). That was a gamble, and if you live in North Florida it is a no-no. I found brocolli and brussels sprouts to be great winter crops. In both Florida and Hawaii I found "sweet 100s" -- cherry tomatoes -- to be the best tomato to grow. Large tomatoes are difficult ... they tend to get a fungus or insects or birds or ... well, you name it, something gets to them before you do.

Back
Top Bottom