ISO Zucchini Pecan Upside-Down Cake ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I've got a slew o' zukes and a pound of pecans so I'd like to make a zucchini-bread-type pecan upside down cake.

Googling comes up with ZERO! Can you believe that?

I thought I'd just find a nice zucchini cake/bread recipe and pour it on top of some pecans and brown sugar, but I hoped someone might have a TNT recipe or at least a solid idea for a recipe?

I'd try making a Bisquick cake or sort of torte as the bread for the veggies and nuts. It would make a nice dinner if you add some cheese topping to it.

why not just use nuts in the cake? upside down cakes seem to only work with fairly thin cake.

course you can do anything you like , maybe u will invent a good recipe.

babe:chef:

why not just use nuts in the cake? upside down cakes seem to only work with fairly thin cake.

course you can do anything you like , maybe u will invent a good recipe.

Good question. Maybe you should sit down....

I don't like pecans.:ohmy:

But BF loves them so that's why I use them. If I incorporate the nuts into the bread I risk hitting one when I give in and have a slice. If they are all on top, I can pick them off and enjoy the nutty-flavored caramelly topping.

Dina- thanks for the idea. I never thought of making a savory torte like you recommended. I'll give that some extra thought.

Good question. Maybe you should sit down....

I don't like pecans.:ohmy:

But BF loves them so that's why I use them. If I incorporate the nuts into the bread I risk hitting one when I give in and have a slice. If they are all on top, I can pick them off and enjoy the nutty-flavored caramelly topping.

Dina- thanks for the idea. I never thought of making a savory torte like you recommended. I'll give that some extra thought.

well, that sure makes sense. lol

Zucchini Muffins with (or without) Pecans

shapeimage_2.jpg

Here's the mashup of recipes I used for my zucchinis.
I compromised by dividing this recipe in half after making the batter,
and doing 1/2 pecan and 1/2 plain with frosting.
Scroll down for both variations:
IMG_1005.jpg

Muffins:

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon zest (fresh or dried)
1 Tbl cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt, divided
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large zucchini
1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)

Pecan Topping (Use only for Pecan Muffins):

3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
4 Tbl cold unsalted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped

Cream Cheese Frosting (Use only for No-Nuts Muffins):

1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites
8 tsp softened butter
1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

On the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the two zucchinis into a sieve or colander. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of the salt and stir gently to coat. The salt will draw some of the liquid out of the zucchini. Let drain while you prepare the batter and nut crumble.

IMG_0983.jpg

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Butter or grease and flour 2 muffin pans, or if using silicone, leave the pans dry.

If you are making the pecan topping, cut the butter up into small pieces while cold. Put the butter into a bowl with all of the remaining ingredients except for the nuts. Stir together with a fork or a pastry blender. Stir in nuts and set mixture aside.

Return to the zucchini and gently squeeze it in your hands to release some of the liquid. Transfer it onto a clean dish towel. Twist the towel around the zucchini like a Tootsie Roll and squeeze out as much of the juice as you can.

For the muffins, mix together first seven dry ingredients and the remaining 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs thoroughly. Stir in sugar, vanilla extract, and zucchini. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir in the pecans if using.

IMG_0985.jpg

For Pecan Muffins:
Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with batter.
Sprinkle pecan topping evenly on top of the batter.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the topping starts to brown.
Let cool completely before trying to remove from the pan.

IMG_0988.jpg

For No-Nuts Muffins:
Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with batter.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center.
Let cool completely.
In the meantime, prepare frosting:

Put egg whites and sugar in a stainless steel bowl and set on top of a pot of simmering water on the stove. The water should NOT be high enough to touch the bowl. Use a hand mixer with a whisk attachment to beat the sugar and whites for about two minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and continue to beat the mixture for another three minutes. Add softened butter and beat until incorporated. Add extracts and cream cheese and continue beating until fluffy. Refrigerate until muffins are cool. Pipe onto muffins with a pastry bag.

Back
Top Bottom