ISO ghee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make your own. Heat butter till it is all liquid and the salt and whey will go to the bottom of your glass measuring cup. Then pour off the clarified butter now you have Gee.

Dave gave you excellent advice. You can also buy it online here.

I feel sure there are other sources out there too - I simply did a Google search as I wasn't sure.

larger cities will have Indian or Asian markets that will carry it, but your average supermarket will not. It is easy to make yourself.

I have seen it in specialty markets like Trader Joes or Whole Foods. I do not remember if either of those two stores does carry it, but I know I have seen it in either those stores or similar stores.

Make your own. Heat butter till it is all liquid and the salt and whey will go to the bottom of your glass measuring cup. Then pour off the clarified butter now you have Gee.

I made it just recently, pretty much like that, except I poured it through a strainer lined with cheesecloth, to remove the solids that floated on top.

what do you guys make with ghee?? i never used it but my grandma uses it to make sweets for religions functions & its also used during the prayers.

Although I've never bought it, Whole Foods definitely does carry it (at least the ones here in Virginia). If you have any upscale supermarkets local to you, or ones with a large ethnic clientele, chances are good they might have it. It's usually found in the Asian/Indian section or in the dairy section. I've found it in both places at the Whole Foods stores here.

Back
Top Bottom