BBQ Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
Can someone please tell me how they BBQ tri tip? Would like specifics. Thank you. Betsy.

wish i could help .. you cant even find them here where i live ..
i am sure one of the great grillers here will help ..

Can someone please tell me how they BBQ tri tip? Would like specifics. Thank you. Betsy.
Betsy, we have tri tip fairly often..What I usually do is start the night before by putting the meat into a ziplock bag with my marinade, turning it every couple of hours to get both sides..When ready to grill we remove from baggie and get rid of the marinade...If you want to baste the meat as it cooks..Take some of the marinade from the baggie BEFORE you put in the meat and save it for cooking.We usually cook the meat about 15 min on each side...This is up to you check by cutting a slit in the thickest part of you meat and see if it is color you prefer..we like some well done the ends and some pinkish the center...this is something you need to do yourself. Tri tip to me is one of the tastiest pieces of meat and great as is with potato salad and veggies but is a wonderful sandwich with a warm piece of Italian or French bread. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

kadesma

dh bbqs it all the time - matter of fact, he's on his way home to bbq one tonight.
We don't ever use a marinade, only a dry rub of salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Since dh is the Q-er, I'm not the one who knows all about the heat/timing.

Normally I don't send folks to google, but this is one instance where it's needed, I think.

The very best info you can get on BBQ tri tip will be by googling "Santa Maria Tri Tip Barbeque" ( or BBQ)
That's where it originated, and they seriously have the best recipes. Also, not only will you get some good recipes, you'll also get some great info.

As per a recommendation from my local butcher, I ended up smoking a tri tip once. I wanted a Briskett, but he was all sold out. He recommended I give the tri tip a try because it is close to the same cut, but with a lot less fat.

I would say, it turned out great... I smoked it at around 190-200 until it was done. Came out just look some of the good brisket I have had else where..

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom