Such thing as healthy appetizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
going to a small runion cookout with some friends I grew with. Most of them are on a diet and it's been requested that we have a healthy cookout. I think the main meal will be grilled chicken. I was wondering if there are any healthy but very yummy appetizer that I can make?

Thanks for any advice.

I made these great little apps on decorative toothpicks of mozzarella balls and fresh basil leaves threaded onto the toothpicks with balsamic vinegar,extra virgin olive oil, mixed and drizzled on top.then seasoned with a dash of salt and pepper. Healthy and they were gone in minutes!

There are so many! A thread a while back was talking about stuffing things - I think it's fun to stuff things, like deviled eggs, or even stuffing cocktail tomatoes or black olives. Cute food, tastes good, not bad for you.

Also, fresh fruit on skewers is always a welcome site. Adults and kids both love them, and they're pretty to look at too.

Any grilled fruit, pineapple, bananas, peaches are healthy, have natural sugars that caramelize nicely.
You could serve with smoked cheeses. Or pineapple shish kabobs with shrimp. Melon, not grilled, with procuitto.Grilled shrimp served with a mango, tomato, onion salsa. Grilled clams with oil/lemon/garlic sauce on top.
YOU GET MY IDEA. Fruit, or veggies, or seafood appys are all healthy, light and tasty. And the grill is going to be on anyway. Use what you have.

well my mom just gave me some huge zucchini's from her garden and I just so happen to come across a recipe called...
"Zuke-a-mole" aka Summer Squash "Guacamole"
It's a dip that you dip what ever in. Now wonder what is healthy to dip them in, maybe those little pita chips. If I decide to make them that is.

Shrimp skewers, low fat cheese cubes and low sodium cubed turkey, chicken, ham, or fat free cream cheese bar topped with raspberry chipotle sauce and a side of whole wheat crackers.

If you cut your bread really thin and grill it then Bruschetta is VERY healthy.

You can also find some pasta shells made with the "better for you" grains, cook them, and serve cold with the bruschetta mix stuffed in the shells.

Just know that tomatoes can go VERY bad if they get too hot from sitting in the sun.

Cut cucumbers into sections then hollow them out and fill with something tasty like a mix of smoked salmon and dill mixed with a little low fat cream cheese..these will be small bites thus less calories, yet tasty.Just about any filling would work. A tray of celery cut into small pieces and stuffed with cream cheese mixed with pineapple or blue cheese...

kadesma

cj, cj, cj!!!!!!!!!!! That reminds me of something I saw - don't remember where or when or even if this is exactly what I saw but this is the idea anyway :LOL: Cut the cucumbers in say 1" lengths. Scoop down just a bit leaving some in the bottom - you are more or less creating a bowl. Fill with gazpacho - - - - it needs to be eaten in one bite so keep that in mind when buying the cucumbers - or you can drink it out then eat the cuke.

cj, cj, cj!!!!!!!!!!! That reminds me of something I saw - don't remember where or when or even if this is exactly what I saw but this is the idea anyway :LOL: Cut the cucumbers in say 1" lengths. Scoop down just a bit leaving some in the bottom - you are more or less creating a bowl. Fill with gazpacho - - - - it needs to be eaten in one bite so keep that in mind when buying the cucumbers - or you can drink it out then eat the cuke.

That is just the cutest idea, I love it.
I'm thinking this would be good too, to use zuchinni for the cups.
Maybe thin slices of roasted tomato flavored toasts (small diameter), a little guacamole on it (the glue between the toasts and the cups), and top with the cups of gazpacho then hang a chive flower out of the top. Think small. A tiny cup of gazpacho and a toast and guacamole chaser. I think it might be better the other way with the toast and guacamole and then the cup of gazpacho as the chaser.
Ground olives (black) with walnuts and mayo would make a good substitute for the guacamole. (it will have more color contrast too)
Dang it now I'm going to have to try them, and time is short this next week. :LOL::LOL:
Thanks for the great idea. ~Blissful
(pesto chips, cup of shrimp ceviche, plain toast w/thin sliced tomato)

Bliss if it were me I'd be careful with zucchini cups..Unless they are very small you are apt to get a "raw" flavor from them which you wouldn't with cucumbers..If you go ahead do try them first and see if the taste appeals to you.

kadesma

Bliss if it were me I'd be careful with zucchini cups..Unless they are very small you are apt to get a "raw" flavor from them which you wouldn't with cucumbers..If you go ahead do try them first and see if the taste appeals to you.

kadesma
excellent point kadesma.......notes taken, I appreciate your comment.

cj, cj, cj!!!!!!!!!!! That reminds me of something I saw - don't remember where or when or even if this is exactly what I saw but this is the idea anyway :LOL: Cut the cucumbers in say 1" lengths. Scoop down just a bit leaving some in the bottom - you are more or less creating a bowl.
Gee....wasn't me, now was it?
img_652439_0_c580561babb4c018add8288b03583e82.jpg

PS - mine was with cream cheese/fresh herbs & chopped red bell peppers on top. The little balls that I scooped out were too cute not to put on the plate.

olives, nuts, certain cheeses in moderation, various flat breads with whole grains, fruits, salsas can all be very tasty and reasonably healthy. Anyone can stuff their faces on health foods and get fat.

well my mom just gave me some huge zucchini's from her garden and I just so happen to come across a recipe called...
"Zuke-a-mole" aka Summer Squash "Guacamole"
It's a dip that you dip what ever in. Now wonder what is healthy to dip them in, maybe those little pita chips. If I decide to make them that is.

Carrot and celery sticks, sliced bell peppers and cucumber slices make good dippers.

One of my favorite appetizers is tzatziki sauce with baked pita chips. Very healthy, since it's made with yogurt, cucumber, garlic and herbs.

Gee....wasn't me, now was it?
img_652868_0_c580561babb4c018add8288b03583e82.jpg

PS - mine was with cream cheese/fresh herbs & chopped red bell peppers on top. The little balls that I scooped out were too cute not to put on the plate.

Of COURSE it was you!!!!! Yep - that's it!!!!! LOL

Also Bliss - cucumber is a key component in gazpacho whereas zucchini is not. Cuke makes a bit more sense to me from a taste standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom