Famous Folk in your area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only close encounter I've had with a celebrity was when I attended the same high school as did Mark Hamill (Star Wars) at the same time. This was way back in Yokohama, Japan. Obviously he was an unknown then but I remember him being active in the drama club.
I met Mark Hamill again just three summers ago at our high school reunion which was held in San Diego. He just happened to be in town for the annual National Comic Book Convention and dropped by to say hello. That was a nice gesture.

Alan Jackson - Country Singer - Newnan, GA
Travis Tritt - Country singer - Marietta, Ga
Julia Roberts - Actress - Smyrna, GA
Kim Bassinger - Actress - born in Athen, GA bought the town of Brasselton, GA in 1989 for $20 million and later due to bankruptcy in 1993 had to sell it for $1 million.
Trisha Yearwood - Country Singer - Monticello, GA
Burt Reynolds - Actor - Waycross, GA
Gladys Knight - Singer - Atlanta, Ga
Alton Brown - Chef - Marietta, GA - Got a degree in Drama from UGA and was terrible at science in high school and college.
Jeff foxworthy - Comedian, host of "Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"- Hapeville, GA
Dakota Fanning - Child Actress (Man on Fire, War of the Worlds, Charlottes Web, Sweet Home Alabama) - Conyers, GA
Holly Hunter - Actress (Saving Grace) - Conyers, GA

There are lots, lots more.

That is so cool Jenny. He was a great man. He was someone kids could really look up to and model themselves after. His sons are the same way. They are some of the nicest hardest working honest people I have ever met.

John Grisham.....He has written a few books...:ermm:

Yes, he has...I am reading one of them right now. Given that he writes about small towns and their characters, have you ever appeared in one of his books, UB? As one of the good guys, obviously....

Just up the coast from us, there are homes belonging to Bill Gates, Goldie Hawn and John Travolta. So I'm told - we have never seen them.

Well, I don't know if you are all familiar with him, but I went to school with Terry Fox from grade four to grade 11 and we were actually good friends. In university he had his leg amputated due to bone cancer and decided to "quietly" run across Canada doing a marathon a day from Newfoundland to Victoria BC. As he made it into Ontario his story started to gain attention and came full force when he was forced to stop the run near Thunder Bay due to a reocurrence of the cancer. He passed away a few months later but not before grabbing international attention. Even Rod Stewart wrote a song about him ("Never Give Up On A Dream" co-written with Bernie Taupin and Jim Creagin) and the Terry Fox Foundation still sponsers the annual Terry Fox run all over the world to raise money for cancer research.

And to think he was just the shy guy with the curly hair I grew up with in Port Coquitlam!

Last edited:
Prince lived in Minneapolis. He and my dad went to the same high school. Central. A few years apart, though.

Ashton Kutcher went to my high school. Cedar Rapids Washington.

Sorry thought he went to St. Paul Central.
Too many cities here I guess.
St. paul, Minneapolis, all the same to everyone that hasn't been here or live here.

kitchenelf said:
Michael Waltrip
Daryl Waltrip
Dale Jarrett
Ned Jarrett (father)
Glenn Jarrett (good friend and brother of Dale)
Junior Johnson

...to name a few and yes, I live in NASCAR Country

quicksilver said:
Yes, but who are they?

I assumed saying "NASCAR" would have been the clue - they are all NASCAR race car drivers either past or current.

Alan Jackson - Country Singer - Newnan, GA
Travis Tritt - Country singer - Marietta, Ga
Julia Roberts - Actress - Smyrna, GA
Kim Bassinger - Actress - born in Athen, GA bought the town of Brasselton, GA in 1989 for $20 million and later due to bankruptcy in 1993 had to sell it for $1 million.
Trisha Yearwood - Country Singer - Monticello, GA
Burt Reynolds - Actor - Waycross, GA
Gladys Knight - Singer - Atlanta, Ga
Alton Brown - Chef - Marietta, GA - Got a degree in Drama from UGA and was terrible at science in high school and college.
Jeff foxworthy - Comedian, host of "Are you Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"- Hapeville, GA
Dakota Fanning - Child Actress (Man on Fire, War of the Worlds, Charlottes Web, Sweet Home Alabama) - Conyers, GA
Holly Hunter - Actress (Saving Grace) - Conyers, GA

There are lots, lots more.

You left off the most important one! Herschel Walker- Bill Bates Killer, 1980--Wrightsville, GA. (one of the best college football players ever)

GO DAWGS

does shaq qualify? he went to my tiny little high school at Robert G. Cole HS, Ft. Sam Houston, TX. I know that he got great coaching.........our 2 AA school stunk at football but in basketball they always did well so I'm not surprised.....ran into another coach whose wife was in the hospital along with my mother-in-law who knew him and said even in high school they knew this O'Neill kid was going places.......too bad I graduated long before him......hahaha......I could have gotten him to sign my yearbook.............

Athletes from Florida:

Steve "Lefty" Carlton, 1944 - , Miami, baseball
Rick Ankiel, 1979 - , Ft Pierce, baseball
Dwight Gooden, 1964 - , Tampa, baseball
Dave Robinson, 1965 - , Key West, basketball
Tracy McGrady, 1979 - , Bartow, basketball
David Duval, 1971 - , Jacksonville, golf
Chris Evert, "The Ice Maiden", 1954 - , Ft. Lauderdale, tennis
Sable/Rena Greek/Rena Mero, 1967 - , Jacksonville, 1st female champ in 1998 of WWF/WWE.

Wow.....Chrissie Evert and I are the same age???? No way........I have 2 more hubbies to go........jest kidding.........I think that she is a great player and one of the most personable people ever........and that's meant sincerely.........I remember always looking forward to her matches with Martina Navratilova..........two of the best women players ever and I believe are friends to this day......

Tommy Newsom, from The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson
Rapper Missy Elliott
Olympic track and field gold medalist LaTasha Colander (DH taught her in high school)
V.C. Andrews, author of "Flowers in the Attic" and other creepy novels
Several others

the Wyeth family of painters: NC, Andrew, and Jamie, composer Samuel Barber (adagio for strings, used in the movies platoon, elephant man), and I'm sure lots of other folks

My dad grew up with Leslie Nielson, though he was actually friends with Leslie's brother who was my Dad's age.

Lucille Ball grew up in Celeron which is about 5 miles from where I live, we have 2 or 3 festivals every summer having to do with her and Desi. There is a museum with things from her set.

Back
Top Bottom