Need "sleeve" when grilling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
A couple times each week, I like to make little pizzas on the gas grill for my kids for lunch. The problem is, when I'm putting on the sauce, toppings and cheese, my forearm gets really overheated & nearly burned (I put the pizzas on the back of the grill for the best heating/melting) Anyone know of a really good "sleeve"-type item that goes up to nearly the elbow, that doesn't cover the hands? (I need to hold the sauce brush and sprinkle the toppings)

Thanks!

I used to have heat resistant gloves when I had a wood stove. The "cuff" came half way up my arm.

You could also get longer utensils.

I used to have heat resistant gloves when I had a wood stove. The "cuff" came half way up my arm.

You could also get longer utensils.

ummmm...I can't get longer fingers, and that's what I use:ermm: Any idea what manufacturer made the heat resistant gloves?

Jeeks - hmmm - hadn't thought of that - but I move the pizzas back and forth 4 times through each one's cooking. Wonder if I could use foil?

Jeeks - I like the pizzas directly on the grill - gives a great crust on the dough. But, thanks for the thought ;)

No. The cookie sheet blocks the heat between you and the pizzas so your arm/sleeve doesnt get hot. When you're done adding the sauce just take the sheet off and set to the side.

Cooks have grill sleeves...it looks like a sweater sleeve. Fits from the wrist to above the elbow.

Like these Vera?
KEVLAR Sleeves for Grilling, BBQ, Mechanics, Dirty Jobs - eBay (item 330255340856 end time Jul-29-08 10:26:52 PDT)
first time I've seen one with a thumb cuff...and that one is a bit poofier than normal, but it's essentially what we use in the kitchen.

No. The cookie sheet blocks the heat between you and the pizzas so your arm/sleeve doesnt get hot. When you're done adding the sauce just take the sheet off and set to the side.

Jeeks - you're too fast! I wrote that, then figured out what you were saying and changed my reply - we must've been typing at the same time.

That one on ebay looks pretty cool! Thanks adillo!

A couple times each week, I like to make little pizzas on the gas grill for my kids for lunch. The problem is, when I'm putting on the sauce, toppings and cheese, my forearm gets really overheated & nearly burned (I put the pizzas on the back of the grill for the best heating/melting) Anyone know of a really good "sleeve"-type item that goes up to nearly the elbow, that doesn't cover the hands? (I need to hold the sauce brush and sprinkle the toppings)

Thanks!

I think it might work out better if you put the sauce and toppings on the pizza before hand. This way everything will be cooked at the same time.

Either way, I hope you find an optimal solution. :chef:

Go to a welding supply vendor.

Get a set of arm spats.

Also works for rough play with 20 pound cats.

I think it might work out better if you put the sauce and toppings on the pizza before hand. This way everything will be cooked at the same time.

I don't think that would work too well - the grill would be a mess:ermm:
Here's my method (by way of Mario Batali) I put the dough on the grill on high for 1 minute, then slide it to the low-med/low side for 2 minutes, then flip it to the high side for 1 minute, then slide to the low-med-low side for 2 minutes. Then I put on the sauce, toppings and cheese and close the grill till the cheese melts.

I think jeekins had such a good idea about putting the sheet on the grill closest to me. I've tried that and it really went well!! Thanks jeeks!

Wart - love the cat comment.:LOL:

Wow!

I thought you would have went for the sleeve. I was curious if it worked well. At least it's not a "pain" to make pizzas anymore.

Is the Batali recipe on FN website?

i have gotten several really bad forarm burns. You def want to avoid them. Once got infected and had to be lanced. Grosss..........

I don't think that would work too well - the grill would be a mess:ermm:
Here's my method (by way of Mario Batali) I put the dough on the grill on high for 1 minute, then slide it to the low-med/low side for 2 minutes, then flip it to the high side for 1 minute, then slide to the low-med-low side for 2 minutes. Then I put on the sauce, toppings and cheese and close the grill till the cheese melts.

I think jeekins had such a good idea about putting the sheet on the grill closest to me. I've tried that and it really went well!! Thanks jeeks!

Wart - love the cat comment.:LOL:

Are you using raw pizza dough? I'm assuming not. It would probably hang through the grids? I'd put a pizza tray under it or a cookie sheet.

Back
Top Bottom