Sugar free syrup-sorbitol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Today I tried Maple Growth Farms sugar free syrup but found that sorbitol is an aquired taste. Perhaps I got a cheap brand. Anyway, is this syrup really good for diabetics? I got it for my dad because mom usually buys the "lite" syrup thinking it's good enough. I'm going to start buying some sugar free items for him so if anyone can recommend anything (he loves cookies and breads I should add), I would appreciate it.

Today I tried Maple Growth Farms sugar free syrup but found that sorbitol is an aquired taste. Perhaps I got a cheap brand. Anyway, is this syrup really good for diabetics? I got it for my dad because mom usually buys the "lite" syrup thinking it's good enough. I'm going to start buying some sugar free items for him so if anyone can recommend anything (he loves cookies and breads I should add), I would appreciate it.

smuckers makes a very good sugar free syrup. i believe log cabin does as well. i have used both. they are both very good.

babe:chef:

Dina ,it's not just the sugar, small amounts of it are ok when you exchange it with something else.Babe is right the syrups she mentions are fine, but remember flour is a carb as is all sugars, breads,some veggies, corn,peas, potatoes, rice, beans..so you must work out amounts and exchanges of the carbs..Let's say you would like 2 cookies for dessert, then trade those cookies for that small potatoe in your meal..Then so you are not hungry add a very low carb extra veggie or a little more salad..There are ways to fill in so you don't go hungry, just remember carbs are the culprits...

kadesma

Thanks Babe and Kadesma. My mom is not very consistent about dad's diet because she will cook all the carbs for herself, then dad wants to eat them so she'll give in. Dad gets very moody when he's told he can't eat certain foods and we'll never hear the end of it. I will try a different brand of syrups for him and also find alternative breakfast items for him. Perhaps a soy milk and berry smoothie will work besides pancakes and eggs.

Thanks Babe and Kadesma. My mom is not very consistent about dad's diet because she will cook all the carbs for herself, then dad wants to eat them so she'll give in. Dad gets very moody when he's told he can't eat certain foods and we'll never hear the end of it. I will try a different brand of syrups for him and also find alternative breakfast items for him. Perhaps a soy milk and berry smoothie will work besides pancakes and eggs.
Dina,
soy milk unsweetend is great..I use it to make those iced coffee drinks with the sugar free chocolate syrup and crushed ice pour in som of the milk and syrup over the coffedd yummy,
kades

Dina ,it's not just the sugar, small amounts of it are ok when you exchange it with something else.Babe is right the syrups she mentions are fine, but remember flour is a carb as is all sugars, breads,some veggies, corn,peas, potatoes, rice, beans..so you must work out amounts and exchanges of the carbs..Let's say you would like 2 cookies for dessert, then trade those cookies for that small potatoe in your meal..Then so you are not hungry add a very low carb extra veggie or a little more salad..There are ways to fill in so you don't go hungry, just remember carbs are the culprits...

kadesma

kadesma is absolutely right. after awhile you just kinda know how to use the exchanges. your dad needs to take charge of his own meals. he can find plenty of facts on line. just google, food for diabetics or a medical site. it is important to take charge of your health . in the game of you can and can't have one thing or another, the cook takes the brunt of the negative reaction of the patient.

dad needs to know by himself what works and what doesn't . it is his choice to eat carbs. then your mom would not be "giving into him" he is not a child, he can set his own boundaries.

babe:ohmy:

Babe, I wasn't expecting criticism about my dad but some suggestions on what sugar free foods to get him. Your first post would have sufficed.

Babe, I wasn't expecting criticism about my dad but some suggestions on what sugar free foods to get him. Your first post would have sufficed.

sorry didn't mean to criticize your dad. i have diabetes and have had for ten years. over that time i have learned to make myself responsible for my health.

again no harm meant. my second husband was put on a strict diet. after several times of him complaining about what i made that was healthy for his heart. i told him," i am not your mom, if want to follow this diet, i will gladly cook it for you, but don't make me the fall guy. "

babe:(

note that some of these sugar subs have a laxative effect on the body, especially if one is already on medication such as metformin. I wouldn't recommend anything more than a couple of teaspoonfuls or (equivalents) a day. Xylitol is another laxative sugar alcohol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom