Dried Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
I know I saw a thread about this somewhere but I cant for the life of me find it!!!
I have some dried beans that are at least a year old:ohmy:, I know! Are they still good?:ermm:
Thanks

while they are still good, you may have to soak and cook them longer to get them tender. So do soak them overnight, and then simmer them for at least an hour and test for tenderness. It may take more cooking.

i would think they are fine. just to be sure, soak overnight. then cook them long and slow in crockpot. depending on the kind of bean, add a ham hock to the beans. wonderful flavor.i also add onion and lots of pepper. yum, then you must bake cornbread.lol lol

babe:chef:

Just curious, Is there a health benefit of dried beans over the canned beans ??? My friend was getting on my case when I was telling her that I used the canned beans

Maybe someone else can answer more completely, but from what I know dried beans have no added ingredients, the canned beans have salt & preservatives added. HTH:)

I imagine in the majority of recipes, there is no difference between canned and cooked dry beans.

Just curious, Is there a health benefit of dried beans over the canned beans ??? My friend was getting on my case when I was telling her that I used the canned beans

Only thing I can think of would be that the salt (sodium) content of canned beans would be higher than if you cooked them yourself from dry (unless you added as much salt).

I think canned beans taste like a tin can...... bleack!
DH dumps them in his chili with the goo in the can.... if I use the canned I rinse them.
Maybe it's just the goop that grosses me out..... but anyway I stopped buying them and just use dried now. They're cheaper too I think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom