Flax - other than baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I was wondering if anyone has ideas to use flax seed (not oil) in dishes other than baking. I'm sure there are ways we could use it, but I'm drawing a culinary creativity blank!

THANKS!

I don't really cook with flaxseed, although I've had a container of them for about 4 months - an impulse buy.
But I have heard they are ineffective until you grind them. I figured, when I'm ready, I'd use my mini chopper to grind them.
Perhaps we'll both get ideas here.
Thanks for the thread.:)

Ditto jkath, I do the same.
I snuck some in my meatloaf also. :)

oh - that reminds me - also in meatballs (swedish, not italian)

I always figured it would be good on top of rolls too, but the only ones I bake regularly are brioche. I think a heavier roll would be better.

I put some ground flax seed on my oatmeal.

I keep it in the freezer since I use so little of it.

Thanks for the ideas. Do you store them ground? I don't and that is often the turn off... one more step of prep grinding them. Like anything though, of course it keeps better that way.

Put the GROUND (not whole) seeds in your cereal or fruit smoothies. I use it in my pancakes all the time. Just a note: If you use whole flaxseeds the oils are not present so you get no benefits. Grind them in a blender, processor or coffee grinder before using.

Flax Meal

I keep my flax meal (purchased from Health Food Store) in the refrigrator.

I sprinkle about 2 teaspoons on my cooked oatmeal I have for breakfast.

It keeps well in the refrigerator.

I have a bag of ground flaxseed, I use some in nyt bread. Also use it in muffins, sprinkle on oatmeal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom