Homemade Turkey Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Homemade Turkey Stock

Refrigerate this speedy stock in an airtight container for a week, or freeze for up to three months.

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Turkey heart, neck, and gizzard from 1 (12-pound) turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
8 cups cold water
2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
3 parsley sprigs
1 bay leaf

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add heart, neck, and gizzard; sauté 5 minutes. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 4 minutes. Add water and broth; bring to a boil. Add thyme, peppercorns, parsley, and bay leaf. Reduce heat; simmer 2 hours. Strain through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill overnight. Skim solidified fat from surface.

Yield: 7 cups (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 31 (55% from fat); FAT 1.9g (satfat 0.3g, monofat 0.5g, polyfat 0.9g); PROTEIN 2.4g; CARBOHYDRATE 0.9g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOLESTEROL 3mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 228mg; CALCIUM 10mg;
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2004

Rainee, I do almost exactly the same thing, except I usually buy a pkg of turkey wings to add to the stock, for a little more flavor - and the kitty kats luuuuuuve the goodies they get afterwards!

I use turkey wings to make my stock. The rest of it is pretty much the same as yours and marmalady's. It's so good. :)

You'll get a lot more gelatine in your stock when you use wings. More body and flavor. Especially if you roast the wings before you make the stock.

Back
Top Bottom