ISO Sweet Tea recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elf

Senior Cook
I am looking for a sweet tea recipe that is not deadly sweet. After look a Googling tea recipes, I am totally confused. One calls for 2 cups of sugar with 8 tea bags, then brew for 15 - 20 min. another leaves bags in for 4 - 5 hours, then adding sugar, it goes on and on. What is with an 1/8 to 1/4 baking soda being added to the mix? I understand that everyone's tastes are different and some like their tea sweeter then others, but I am looking for a basic recipe to start from. I have tasted some pretty awful " sweet teas" they were either too sweet, harsh, chemical tasting or a combination of all three. Thanks

I am assuming you mean tea bag, Luzinne. I make a tea with 2 Luzianne, 1 Boston Tea w/orange and spice, with 18 1/4 grain saccharin tablets, in 1 qt tea pot, let it Brew 3-4 hours. Been making this for years, I am just searching for something different. I have always heard people rave about sweet tea, but I have never had what I feel is a good sweet tea. I was hoping someone from the deep South would respond.

1 Cup of Water in a pot
1 Luzianne Family Size Teabag in the pot
Bring to a boil...Turn heat as low as you can, and cover for 5 to 10 minutes.
Pour the brewed tea in a pitcher that will hold 1/2 gallon of water.
Squeeze the bag out into the pitcher...Don't burn yorself!!
Fill the picture with tap water...Stir well.
Sweeten with pure cane sugar to taste....Stir until well disolved

If you like your tea stronger...use two tea bags....
Loose tea works well also....

Once you get your recipe down pat as to the amount of sugar...you may disolve it in a little hot water before adding to the pitcher.

Make ahead and refrigerate to chill so your ice want melt and dilute the tea too much....

Enjoy!!!!

1 quart water
4 quart size tea bags (family size)- I use Luzianne
2 cups sugar
3 quarts of cold water

In a large pot bring 1 quart of the water to a boil. Remove from heat, add the tea bags, cover, and let it steep for 15-20 minutes. Pour the sugar into a 1 gallon jug and cover it with some hot tap water. Stir well. Remove the tea bags from the tea and pour the tea into the jug. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Finish filling the jug with cold water. Stir well.

Add some mint leaves and/or some lemon for a garnish.

Well UB, this is our first disagreement! :LOL:

NEVER, ever squeeze your tea bags. This releases too much acid and it turns the tea bitter.

I can't really elaborate more as I am now at work - will get back to this later but wanted to interject that tidbit - I'm sure we're still friends UB :flowers:

NEVER, ever squeeze your tea bags. This releases too much acid and it turns the tea bitter.

I can't really elaborate more as I am now at work - will get back to this later but wanted to interject that tidbit - I'm sure we're still friends UB :flowers:

ditto on the not squeezing the tea bags, the tannic acid makes it awful.

I put one gallon of water on to heat just below boiling. Add 4 family size Luzianne tea bags (I use decaf ones) let steep for 20-30 mins. Remove bags, add 1 cup sugar while still hot and stir. Pour into pitcher and chill in fridge. Occasionally I'll use 8 Constant Comment tea bags but then I cut the sugar in half.

Ahhhh your the one that said "don't squeeze the tea bags!" I remember it from last summer and I'll have you know I have not squeezed a tea bag since. I have been making ice tea all summer and loving it. TY

Kitchenelf said:

Interesting...So after brewing/steeping in boiling (or almost boiling) water for 5-10 minutes...Some have said 20 or 30 minutes...Why is the liquid inside the tea bag any different than the liquid outside the tea bag?? Does the tea bag have the capacity to hold in tannins??

Interesting...So after brewing/steeping in boiling (or almost boiling) water for 5-10 minutes...Some have said 20 or 30 minutes...Why is the liquid inside the tea bag any different than the liquid outside the tea bag?? Does the tea bag have the capacity to hold in tannins??[/quote

right on uncle bob, squeezing a tea bag may be a southern thing. do u think. i grew up on tenn.

babe:chef:

Seriously, this just sounds like iced tea to me. To me iced tea has sugar and lemon in it. Sweet tea I was told had other things in it to sweeten it, not just sugar. Like honey and/or molasses or something?
And you're not supposed to 'dip' your tea bags either as it makes them bitter. I have always wondered about that stuff, why it makes it bitter?

right on uncle bob, squeezing a tea bag may be a southern thing. do u think. i grew up on tenn.

babe:chef:

Not so sure about it being a southern thing. I don't sqeeze tea bags either. :)

I have always made sweet tea by making a simple syrup:
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water

In a small saucepan heat the sugar and water and bring to a boil. When the sugar is completely dissolved remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 1 week.

then make your tea and add syrup till desired sweetness.

When you Google Sweet Tea the recipes call for an 1/8 to /4 baking soda, does that counter the tannins in the tea?
Also why do you put the sugar in after you dilute and cool the tea, wouldn't it make more sense to add the sugar to hot liquid?

When you Google Sweet Tea the recipes call for an 1/8 to /4 baking soda, does that counter the tannins in the tea?
Also why do you put the sugar in after you dilute and cool the tea, wouldn't it make more sense to add the sugar to hot liquid?

"They" say a little baking soda off sets the tannins a little. Also, I have read where it prevents the tea from becoming cloudy!:ermm: I personally don't know of anyone that puts baking soda in tea. IMO it's much-a-do about nothing!

When you put the sugar in, and in what form, (granulated or simple syrup) is not critical...Obviously the sugar would disovle better in warmer water...
It's a really simple process...HTH

Have Fun & Enjoy....Oh, and make mine unsweetened!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom