Main courses and sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyer2006

Assistant Cook
I love to cook! As i'm sure many of you do...lol since this just happens to be a cooking forum. Anyway, I recently moved in with my boyfriend at our first apartment and seem to have a slight problem. I know how to cook alot of things, but not sure what to put with what. If I decided to make some type of pork, I don't know what are the best sides to go with it. The other day day I wanted to make corn on the cob for sure, but wasn't sure what the best things to put with it. Anybody have any idea what the best things go with what. Some of your favorite meals. I don't necessarily need a recipe, but for example:

Baked chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Canned Corn

I love to have a meat, vegetable, and starch with every meal, unless im making something like spaghetti. The starches I love are potatoes or pasta, either can go with any meal, as long as there in there.

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Here are some of my favorite combos:

Baked chicken or meatloaf
Baked potato
Baked acorn squash

Pan-fried ham steak
Mashed potatoes
Yellow wax beans

Pork chops
White rice
Green beans

Lee

You can be as creative and adventurous as you want, but as a general rule, try not to mix flavors from two cuisines that have extremely different flavor profiles. For example, mixing a French main course with an Italian side dish would work in many cases, but pairing something like veal picatta and kim chee would be disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there B-fly,
Wow, the possibilities are endless!
I'd suggest looking at the "what's for dinner tonight thread" (almost always listed as mon, tues, weds, ect) You'll find an endless amount of combos there. It's one of my favorite threads because it's real life. It's the kind of food that people really eat when they are tired after working all day.
One of my favorites is a nice grilled medium rare ribeye steak, with roasted red skin potatoes (rosemary, garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper) and either steamed or grilled asparagus. Quick and easy after work.

Hey, what's wrong with my word with asterisks?! What if it meant something else...:innocent:

I know you.......and it didn't mean anything else :LOL: Please read any of your previous PM's we sent telling you why we removed something similar ;) :bangin: :-p

Did you post the raw diver scallop picture yet?

I know you.......and it didn't mean anything else :LOL: Please read any of your previous PM's we sent telling you why we removed something similar ;) :bangin: :-p

Did you post the raw diver scallop picture yet?

Just because most of the contestants on Top Chef swear.....

Ok, fine. I have a potty mouth. Sometimes. Mainly at work.

And yeah, the raw scallop pics are up.

Okay....so back to the thread....

Sometimes, something good to do is to serve a side that has a contrasting flavor to the main dish. For example, if you're serving a main course that is really rich, make a side dish that has a fair amount of acid and/or sweetness which will balance out the flavors in the heavier main course. If you're making a roasted pork loin with a rich gravy, something like arugula or spinach sauteed with garlic, red chilis, raisins, and lemon will balance out the pork.

I usually use what I got or what im in the mood for.

anything can go with anything almost. but like Iron said you dont want to really mix cuisines. there are exceptions but they need soemthing to bring them together if you are going to.

some of my favorite sides are:

roasted Califlower
sauteed string beans
spinach with bacon
Buffalo Corn (corn on the cob covered in hot sauce)
steamed broccoli
satueed mushrooms and onions
Mashed potatos
Roasted potatos.

I think it is all in your likes and dislikes - When I make fried chicken, I have to have peas and mashed potatoes. When sweet corn is in season we may have it with any meat.
It is just a personal choice -
I was raised on meat-potatoes and a veg.

butterfly - if you post your main "meat" I bet we have more opinions than you care to read about what sides to have with it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

You will learn very quickly, I am sure! To me, it's just a matter of broadening your vegetable recipes to make things more exciting. Now, for comfort-type foods, when I serve mashed potatoes I LOVE to either have peas or corn 'cause a couple peas/corn have to be in every bite of mashed potatoes :LOL:

IC gave you some good advice on things that balance each other out. We'll help anytime you need it!

ohh roasted turnips then satueed in a honey glaze.

same with carrots

I love roasted EVERYTHING! Beets are good roasted too. Sometimes I will roast beets, turnips, grape tomatoes, shallots, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and then toss everything with some pasta (maybe even some pappardelle ;)), drizzle with some olive oil and a few slices of fresh Parmesan cheese.

i havent had beets sincei was a little kid. I think i need to try them again.

that sounds good K Elf

Roasted beets are so very good. Also, I will grill zucchini, yellow squash, portobello or other mushrooms that won't fall through, onion slices, thick tomato slices so they hold up, then when everything is done I cut in chunks and toss with pasta, again adding more olive oil and topping with Asiago cheese.

Grill a flat iron steak that has been marinated in a bit of Worchestershire, garlic, olive oil, and for the last 30 minutes or so some balsamic, or whatever your favorite way to marinate this steak is, and toss this in the bowl with the veggies - makes for a great meal!

butterfly - if you post your main "meat" I bet we have more opinions than you care to read about what sides to have with it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Our main "meat" is chicken, but my boyfriend has a major liking for pork. Pork is really different for me. And chicken I always put mashed potatoes and spicy corn (corn with crushed red pepper, hot pepper flakes, and a bit of brown sugar...very tasty!).

if you stick with the color suggestion of balanced meal, you can't go far wrong. ie, protein of your choice, green leafy veg. or just green , yellow ones , like squash, corn, etc. and a carb. potatoes, rice, pasta or a nice bread (not white bread)
let your conscience be your guide on dessert. fruit is good.

babe:chef:

colorful meals are usually tasty. if your meat is chix, then figure out a salad like spinach or pasta with lotsa bright veggies &/or a veg or 2, a starch ranging from taters to pesto pasta, & dessert is optional.

Back
Top Bottom