ISO TNT non sweet cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
I'm looking to make my first batch of cornbread and would like a good recipe. I am also looking at possibly including this in my secondary school cooking classes.

Maybe Uncle Bob will be up soon....
I do believe he has a goodie.... he shared it w/ me at one time but I seem to have lost it!

If you do an advanced search, type in Cornbread, make sure you use the "By Title" from the drop down menu, type in Uncle Bob's name on the right, clickon Search - you will come up with quite a few options. Just look for the one's without sugar. UB did give this one his stamp of approval.

yeah, UB told me my favorite was not only not cornbread, it was CAKE!
Otherwise I'd give you mine.
:)

Joy of Cooking has a skillet corn bread bread made with course corn meal buttermilk egg and bacon fat. no flour, no sugar, real southern style. It's excellent.

If you just have plain cornmeal, not the cornmeal mix, for every 3 cups of cornmeal, add 1 cup of flour, 2 tablespoons of baking powder and 2 teaspoons of salt. Divide it in half and just use half of it for the recipe. Store the other half till you're ready to make it again.

I love southern "buttermilk" cornbread..God forbid anyone add sugar lol.
Not that mine isnt edible and my sons love it..I miss my dads cornbread. Mine is still somewhat cakey whereas his was a coarser bread, yet didnt crumble too bad.I have gotten mine coarser at times by adding less flour, but then mine crumbles and we eat with a spoon lol.
anyone have anyideas?
also..Mama do you have a recipe for buttermilk bisquits? I love fat fluffy buttermilk bisquits. I have one aunt that makes the best in the world..best catfish..and that is only edible food she can make lol

Well of course I do Mississippi Girl! What kind of southern Mama would I be if I couldn't make Buttermilk Biscuits?

Here's what you'll need:

2 cups self-rising flour (White Lily if you can get it)
1/4 cup All-Vegetable Shortening or Lard
1 cup buttermilk
flour for kneading

Here's what you need to do:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, cut the shortening into the Self-Rising Flour with a pastry blender or fork or your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs. Blend in buttermilk with fork just until the dough comes together. The dough will be sticky.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently by folding the dough 6 to 8 times.

Press into a circle that's 1 inch thick.

Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Do not twist the cutter until the dough has been cut all the way through (twisting the cutter will cause the biscuits not to rise straight up.
Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. Use you thumb to make an small indentation in the middle of the biscuit so that it will rise more evenly while baking.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

ty! Maybe this one will work out for me. I have tried for yearssssss and my bisquits either fall apart, no taste, or hockypucks :(. I appreciate the well written instructions too. Think I have been overworking the dough. I can make all the other breads..just not darn bisquits..my favorite lol..ty again :D

Back
Top Bottom