Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   I'm on a Hummus kick! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/im-on-a-hummus-kick-48910.html)

sattie 08-05-2008 11:27 AM

I'm on a Hummus kick!

I use to buy this stuff in the store and get grossed out by it. Then I saw a recipe posted by tdiprincess for black bean hummus and finally tried it! I am sooooo hooked!

I have located every can of black beans in the house I could find and have made this just about every day for the last week. Here is my recipe that I have come up with after several batches. This stuff is good, good on just about anything!

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 clove of garlic (easy on the garlic, it can over power quickly)
2 cayenne peppers ( I love heat so this is a personal choice, use what ever peppers you like or no peppers at all!)
juice of 1/2 lime
2 T tahini (I searched high and lo for this stuff and finally made my own.)
1 T flat leaf parsley or cilantro (I use what ever I have on hand)
1 roma tomato, seeded and chunked
1 tsp chili powder ( I used Penzey's Hot Chili Powder)
1 tsp onion powder
kosher salt to taste

Toss in a food processor and whip it good!

For the tahini... I lightly roasted 1 c of sesame seeds at 300 for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally and ensuring that they did not brown. Let cool, add to food processor and 1/4 c of evoo. That will make enough for at least 4 batches of black bean hummus.

Hope you enjoy it, cuz I can live on this stuff!!! Hubby loves the garlic aroma of my breath!!!! :lol:

Dina 08-05-2008 12:00 PM

This one sounds good Sattie. Have you tried the chick pea hummus with a southwest chipotle flavor? It's quite tastey.

sattie 08-05-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 659160)
This one sounds good Sattie. Have you tried the chick pea hummus with a southwest chipotle flavor? It's quite tastey.

No I have not!!! But want to try it all at this point. I guess since I am out of black beans, I have no choice but to branch out. You have a recipe for that Miss Dina??? Purty please!?

Dina 08-05-2008 12:39 PM

www.applesforhealth.com/HealthyAppetizers/sochphum5.html I would use garbanzo beans (chick peas) for this recipe. Enjoy.

elaine l 08-05-2008 01:49 PM

Sounds good! I love hummus any kind, bean, chickpea whatever. This time of year it is so delicious with fresh green or wax beans, crispy from the garden.

kitchenelf 08-06-2008 01:24 PM

Roast your own red peppers (peeled and seeded of course) and add those to your hummus. Normally it's used in conjunction with garbanzo beans but I think they might give a nice twist to the black beans too!

Thanks for posting this sattie - I need to get my rear in gear as this would make a good meal - just add fermented grapes for the fruit :lol:

CharlieD 08-06-2008 04:23 PM

I thoght that humus is made from garbanzo beans, not regular beans?

suziquzie 08-06-2008 04:27 PM

Sattie! Thank you!
I spend $8 bucks on a jar of Tahini, I didn't think I could make my own!

Charlie I use garbanzos in my hummus also.

Sweet 08-06-2008 04:54 PM

Hummus with pesto is really good, too :D

sattie 08-06-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziquzie (Post 660179)
Sattie! Thank you!
I spend $8 bucks on a jar of Tahini, I didn't think I could make my own!

Charlie I use garbanzos in my hummus also.

It may not be anything like the jarred stuff, but since I can't find it anywhere, I'm not going to know the difference! :lol: If you try it, let me know if it even compares.