Need some ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swiftdr

Assistant Cook
I'm moving into a new apartment in a couple weeks. I'm very excited about both the new place and my new roommate.

My roommate is completely new to Richmond, VA and I want to fix up something of a welcome dinner. She's not vegetarian, intends to make the switch.

I don't have a ton of cooking experience but I can work from a recipe with good results.

Does anybody have any good ideas? I'm thinking of doing something light and not real hot because the weather has been hot and we'll be moving her stuff in that day.

I just posted this recipe the other day and seems to be well liked and is relatively easy with at the same time looks impressive on the table....
I know I definately would like it if served at a friends house....

Pasta Sauce with Sun-dried tomatoes and spinach

fast to make- only about 1/2 hour total.
for 2 people
·1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
·1 Tbs. Fresh chopped garlic)-optional
·1/2 tsp. Salt
·1/4 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
·1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
·2 generous Tbs. Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
·1 cup fresh Roma or plum tomatoes, diced (about 3 tomatoes)
·2 1/2 Tbs. pine nuts, lightly toasted
·1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
·6 oz. Spaghetti; (3 oz. per person)
·1 Tbs. Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped

Heat water to cook pasta.
In medium size pan, heat olive oil on medium high.
Add (garlic), salt, pepper, basil, sun-dried and fresh tomatoes.
Cook over medium high heat until the fresh tomatoes begin to wilt.
Add spinach and pine nuts.
Cook until spinach wilts.
Add cooked pasta, toss well and transfer to heated bowls.
Top each serving with the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

You could cook some linquini, drain, add back to pot and toss in some sliced grape tomatoes, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper, fresh basil leaves that have been torn, and a few shavings of fresh Parmesan cheese. The key will be enough salt here for flavor and the basil leaves for some brightness - or even fresh flat leaf parsley versus basil. Put the lid on the pot at this point to let the flavors blend a bit. Simple and summery flavors.

Roasted Vegetable Quesadilla Stacks
Ingredients
3 medium zucchini, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 (12-inch) flour tortillas
1-1/3 cups shredded Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 lime, cut into wedges
Hot pepper sauce 1.Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss zucchini, bell peppers and onion with chili powder. Place on baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil. Bake 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.
2. Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat. Place 1 tortilla in skillet; top with 1 cup vegetable mixture and 1/3 cup cheese. Top with second tortilla, then repeat vegetable and cheese layers. Top with third tortilla; cook about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
3. Hold large plate over skillet and invert tortilla stack onto plate. Slide tortilla stack back into skillet; cook about 2 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom.
4. Slide stack onto cutting board; cover loosely to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining ingredients to form another stack. Cut each tortilla stack into quarters; serve with sour cream, lime wedges and hot pepper sauce to taste.

Cool Summer Avocado & Corn Salad Boats

Cool Summer Avocado & Corn Salad Boats
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
4 ears of corn(shucked boiled and kerneled)
1 avocado, cut into small cubes (save outer shells)
1 red chopped onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
5 tbs of fresh chopped cilantro
3 tbs of fresh basil leaves
2 tbs of sherry vinegar
2 tsb of fresh lemon
In a salad bowl, combine and toss all ingredients together, serve in reserved avacado shells.
[/FONT]

BEAN AND PASTA SALAD WITH ROTISSERIE CHICKEN

8 oz. uncooked rotini
1 can black beans
1 can great Northern beans
1 can kidney beans
1 11-oz. can whole kernel corn
1 2-oz. jar pimiento, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Zesty Italian dressing
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Cook and cool rotini. Mix all beans, corn and pimiento in bowl with juice from cans. While pasta is cooking and beans are soaking mix mayo, dressing, pepper, and mustard.

Pour bean mixture into colander, rinse and drain. Pull chicken, cut if necessary, and mix everything well and refrigerate for 2 hours. That's the only thing that is a "must" in this recipe. It takes 2 hours for the Zesty Italian to "calm down". This will also make enough for you to eat the next day too.

macaroni grill now has packaged supper meals in the grocery, just add
leftover chicken or canned chicken

I'm a big believer in Middle East brand couscous and taboule. Both require no cooking besides boiling some water or stock. Both can be served hot or cold. Both can have meat, veggies, and herbs tossed in for a good all around supper. I have no air conditioning in my kitchen, and these are real summer staples for me. They also take well to vegetarian fares of different sorts.

I made this on Sunday. It was good and super easy.

Curried Chickpeas with Spinach
6 oz coconut milk (a small can)
1 can chickpeas, juice reserved
1 cup water
3 tbs flour
½ cup shallots, chopped
2 tsp curry powder
½ tsp salt
½ lb spinach, chopped

Combine coconut milk, bean juice, water and flour in a sauce pan or skillet. Stirring, heat until the flour binds without lumps and makes a saucy consistency. Add the shallots, curry powder and salt. Mix thoroughly and add the beans. Cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Five minutes before serving, stir in chopped spinach and lemon juice. Serve as soon as the spinach wilts, but is still bright green.

Serve poured over rice.

Back
Top Bottom