Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Meals in Minutes (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f143/)
-   -   Spiffed Up Jarred Spaghetti Sauce (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f143/spiffed-up-jarred-spaghetti-sauce-48940.html)

kitchenelf 08-05-2008 07:54 PM

Spiffed Up Jarred Spaghetti Sauce

OK, my secret when making a quickie spaghetti sauce is to use ground pork (it's more moist and has a smoother flavor). But, the key to making it taste more homemade is to put about 1/2 cup or so of red wine into it and let it reduce a bit. It adds a depth of flavor that certainly fools everyone. Takes 30 minutes or less and definitely tastes like it's someone's grandmother's recipe. I do use Hunt's Traditional - it's the least processed tasting and has some good herb flavor to it.

OK, I have even done this when I'm not in a hurry (where is the ashamed emoticon) "blush"

LadyCook61 08-05-2008 08:05 PM

sounds good to me , and nothing to be ashamed of because it works. :-)

QSis 08-05-2008 08:11 PM

Do you mean red wine vinegar or red wine?

Lee

kitchenelf 08-05-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSis (Post 659623)
Do you mean red wine vinegar or red wine?

Lee

Just red wine Lee - I just use some of the boxed Burgundy or Cabernet I have to cook with.

I have put red wine vinegar in spaghetti sauce before but more like 1 TBS or so...it was quite good.

deelady 08-05-2008 08:33 PM

:smile:Mmmmmm sounds like a keeper KE! Thank you!

Robo410 08-05-2008 10:11 PM

If you like the taste of Italian sausage, ground fennel seed is a great herb for your spaghetti sauce with pork.

kitchenelf 08-05-2008 10:23 PM

ROBO!!! - how could I forget that - I always use fennel seed!!!!! Thanks for posting it for me! :lol: That's another little secret to spaghetti sauces IMHO.

buckytom 08-05-2008 10:51 PM

elfie, heinz sauce rocks! and red wine really does add a whole extra dimension. my fave to use if gallo burgundy.
and of course, there's something special about pork, fennel, and tomato sauce.

the heinz sauce is really easy to doctor up and make excellent quck sauces.

i like to toast a half head of peeled/sliced garlic in a healthy amount of evoo, then sorta "fry" the can of sauce for a few seconds, finally adding freshly torn basil. great with shellfish.

to make a quick fra diavolo, toss in some red pepper flakes into the hot garlic oil before adding the sauce, then add capers and simmer.

btw, try browning some boneless pork rib ends in garlic oil, then simmering in your sauce till they're falling apart.

my god, i'm hungry!

larry_stewart 08-05-2008 11:18 PM

Thats how I learned to cook, by using a jarred sauce, adding a little here and there until i was adding more than the jarred sauce provided. Just substituded the jarred sauce for tomatoes + anything I added and called it my own:wink:

That was when i was 15 or 16 :wink:

I did the same things with canned soups also, adding mushrooms, wine, noodles ...

QSis 08-06-2008 05:34 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, the "Heinz Traditional" is the SAUCE!! LOL! k.e., I thought you were talking a brand of either wine or vinegar in your post!

Don't believe I've ever heard of that sauce, but I'll keep an eye out.

I use Barilla Green and Black Olive. Love it!

Lee