Pita Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I remembered another favorite. If I have whole wheat pita on hand or you could use regular pita bread.

Split apart the pita , toast it under a broiler or toaster oven, after it is toasted , add your favorite jar of sauce to cover both halves of the pita.
Add your favorite cheese and whatever seasonings you like. Put back under the broiler til cheese is melted.

Thanks for the reminder. I used to do this when I was in University. Haven't made pita pitas in a while!

I love making thin crust pizzas with josephs flax seed pitas. They're the perfect size for personal size pizzas.

Can't fathom whole wheat pitas but a regular one sounds great. I may have to do this tonight.

Question though, because I'm a little dense, when you say split the pita, do you mean cut it in half or pull it apart so you have two completely round halfs of the pita? If that, what side do you toast and put the sauce on? The rough middle side?

Whole wheat pita is great! Nothing wrong with "white bread" if that is what you prefer.

I have always split the pita into two discs - split between sides, otherwise you would wind up with pita "pockets" for a sandwich, not a round pizza base. I always put them "inside up" - but I guess you could do it the other way if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Never tried it with pita bread. We have used tortillas before, and growing up we always used English Muffins. Oh and bagels, we have used bagels as well.

Whole wheat pita is great! Nothing wrong with "white bread" if that is what you prefer.

I have always split the pita into two discs - split between sides, otherwise you would wind up with pita "pockets" for a sandwich, not a round pizza base. I always put them "inside up" - but I guess you could do it the other way if you wanted to.
Thanks. After last night's dinner disaster (see the TJ's thread), I owe DD something good for dinner. Pita Pizza might just be the trick to appease her.

You can use all kinds of "breads" for your pizza base. English muffins, bagels, a split loaf of French bread, Kaiser rolls, hot bog buns, hamburger buns, onion rolls ... etc.

I don't think kids are too picky - all they care about is that it has some sauce, cheese, and you call it pizza - LOL

(sounds like some adults I know, too ....)

Toss in some spinach and you've got a Chicken Alfredo Florentine Pizza! It's even better if you add some sauteed mushrooms ...

Oh, something else the boys used to do ... they would use saltine crackers for a pizza base (back in the days when saltine crackers came in those big 4-cracker things) and they would sometimes make mini-pizzas using Ritz crackers (if that is all we had).

Last edited:
I've done this.. but I love the Boboli breads for pizza.

A good pizza sauce, FRESH mozzarella cut into slices..tomatoes, onion olives, ham, pepperoni... Sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan.. stick in the oven and bake..

yummy..

Has anyone tried Home Run's super thin crust pizza. The crust almost tastes like it is made out of puff pastry. It's really really good and I normally dislike frozen pizza. This one is different and I was surprised how good it tastes.

I wish my kids would eat a pizza made on bread. They are not teenagers but are super picky about food :-(

I have no one else but myself to blame. I have given them a lot of good food so they have a refined palate :).

Middie, the naan idea sounds good. I always have naan or garlic naan in my freezer I should try that sometimes and pull a fast one on my kids.

Speaking of whole wheat pitas, here is a good recipe.... if you like black beans.

Black Bean Pita Pizzas

4 whole wheat pita breads (4-inches in diameter)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 small green pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (3 oz)
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (3 oz)
1/2 cup sour cream, if desired

Heat oven to 425 F. Split each pita bread in half around edge with knife.

Place in ungreased sheed pan.

Bake about 5 minutes or just until crisp.

Cook onion and bell pepper in tomato sauce in 10-inch skillet over med. heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables apore crisp-tender. Stir in beans, chili powder, oregano and cumin; heat through.

Spoon bean mixture evenly over each pita bread half. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Top each pizza with a dollop of sour cream.

4 servings

Back
Top Bottom