Hello from beautiful and delicious Greece!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faye_arv

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone! My name is Faye, I grew up in the U.S. and returned to my native country, Greece, when I was 15yrs. old. I'm now 34 and a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed when I was 32). I love to cook: Greek, American, Mexican and Chinese foods almost as much as I like to eat them! I have one son who is 4yrs old and I've been married for 7yrs. Greek food is well known for its health benefits (Mediterranean cuisine), although we do have some whoppers on the calorie scale!

You can ask me anything you like about Greece, the restaurants, food, etc. and even if I don't know the answer I'll try and find it for you.

My best to all, keep healthy and happy!

Faye

I think the only question I have about Greece is "WHEN CAN WE COME BACK???"
What a wonderful country you live in. Beautiful!

What part of Greece to you live in? We spend most of our time at the village where Hubby's mom was born. It's right under the rocks of the Meteora.

Welcome to the group!

I've been to Meteora, it is really breathtaking there! You are lucky to have your in-laws from there! I live in between Levadia and Arahova, it's at the shore of Distomo. I'm sure you don't know it, but it is lovely and walking distance from the beach.

I used to live in Athens before I got married, though, and my father still lives there. I go to Athens and Evia (my in-laws house) often.

I'm hoping to go to Zakynthos for vacation in the beginning of Sept. If you think Meteora are beautiful you wouldn't believe how beautiful Zakynthos' beaches are! I've only seen them in pics so I'm really excited! The turtles caretta caretta have a nesting site there.

I wanted to add pics but have to wait to add 20 posts first...maybe later then :)

Sorry I don't mean to talk on and on about Greece!

What's your favorite Greek food?

Welcome! I love Greek food! I like to go to this place called the Greek Broiler and get a delicious dish called Chicken Souvlaki. Do you know how to make it?

Welcome Faye! What is there not to love in Greek cuisine!! I have never eaten a dish I didn't intantly love! I have always wanted to visit, it is definately a top destination on my to do list!
Do you have a dish that you make you consider to be your specialty? Any recipe you want to share I will be in 7th heaven!
I guess my top favorites would be all the basics....lemonato chicken, dolmades, Tzatziki, spanikopita, any thing with olives!!!

Welcome to the group. I made Greek Lemon soup for my dinner last night and it was great. I truly love a lot of Greek food. I once worked with a Greek chef and learned a lot from him. Peace, love and good eating

Welcome to the group. I made Greek Lemon soup for my dinner last night and it was great. I truly love a lot of Greek food. I once worked with a Greek chef and learned a lot from him. Peace, love and good eating

That sounds good! Care to share?

Here are a few of my favorites.

Greek Zucchini!!

Ingredients:
zucchini, sliced about ¼ inch thick
olive oil
green peppers
sliced black olives
onions
parsley, ground cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, dash sugar, garlic
canned tomatoes or tomato sauce

Directions:
Sauté onions, parsley, garlic in olive oil
add zucchini and green peppers,olives, and ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar
stir for a few minutes and then add tomatoes or tomato sauce
cover and cook over low heat until soft.

Leek and rice

3-4 good sized leeks
1 cup rice
olive oil
1-2 cups water
1/2 tomato sauce
salt, pepper, paprika

Directions:
cut green part off of the leek.
slice the white part in half... wash well and then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
Put olive oil in pan and saute leek for 5 to 10 minutes (should be nice and soft)
Add 1-2 cups water and cook for 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, rice, salt, pepper and paprika...
Bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat. Continue cooking for 20 minutes or until liquid is gone.

Greek Beans and tomatoes

1 can green beans ( drained, I use home canned ones but you can use the store bought)
1 can tomatoes ( undrained, I use the home canned ones here too)
onions
garlic
olive oil
Salt, pepper, oregano and parsley

Sauté diced onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil until soft
add beans and tomatoes. Mix well. Add salt and pepper. Add spices either fresh or dried may be used.
Cook until liquid is almost gone.

Greek salad

Peel, seed and slice cucumbers
cut tomatoes into wedges, seed
dice onion
dice red pepper ( can use green but red is much better)
Mix all the veggies.
sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano
pour some white vinegar and olive oil over the top of the veggies
Mix well.

Feta and olives may be added or served on the side.

Thank you for the warm welcome!!

As for the Greek recipes, should I post them here or add a post called Greek recipes and put them there?

Hi, Faye. Welcome to DC :)

You should post all the recipes you have ;) in the ethnic foods forum - that's where people will go to look for them later on. Can't wait to see what you've got - we love Greek food, too. Tzatziki is one of my all-time favorite foods.

Hi, Faye. Welcome to DC :)

You should post all the recipes you have ;) in the ethnic foods forum - that's where people will go to look for them later on. Can't wait to see what you've got - we love Greek food, too. Tzatziki is one of my all-time favorite foods.

I made my 1st recipe posts :) Tzatziki and Skordalia

I was wondering if you'd be interested in Greek cold/ice coffee, as well?

Ahh Greek coffee, what a happy memory that brings to mind.

Keep on posting..you'll get no complaints...lol, we all love food!

Welcome Faye! You live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I love Mediterranean cuisine and I will certainly be asking you for a lot of recipes. Thanks for the offer and great to have you as a member of our group.

Back
Top Bottom