A few smoking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been reading up on the brisket smoking threads in preparation for using up these briskets I got with my front quarter. Maybe not the easiest piece of meat to start with, but oh well :)

A pretty common denominator is to not use too much smoke for the length of time it is going to take. How do I do that? Less chips for the whole cooking time, same amount of chips but not for the whole 9-12 hours? Maybe pull the chips after a few hours?
Which leads me to ask, how do you know how many wood chips to use in the first place? How much smoke am I looking for to surround the meat? Can I feed in wood chips like you do charcoal, putting them on top of old chips, or should I remove the spent chips?

And, If I lift the lid to mop the meat or check the temp, which is my bigger concern; losing the smoke or losing the heat?

And And, I read 9-12 hours for a 6 lb brisket. I just weighed mine (in its frozen state) and it weighs 2.75 lbs. The shape is like a slab of bacon and it does not appear to have a fattier side to face upward. Any input on how that will affect the cooking/smoking time? Will it cut it in half? Will I need to mop it more because there's not much fat on a particular side?

Thanks for your help :)

I can't help much but will be watching with interest....
Did you make your trash can smoker?
DH is still paranoid about the zinc, even after showing him the links you posted.
:(
And he's not one to worry... about anything!
He'll come around.

I'll probably get over to the hardware store today and pick up the stuff, Suzi. If I don't have to send away for a hotplate, I hope to give this a try this weekend.

lol, just looked. Lego!

LOL, I love legos!

Oh, and not to get off topic, smoked meat!!!!

You don't need to remove the chips after they're spent...you can keep adding them as you go. What type of chips are you using???

You can use mesquite (if you like mesquite) since you will be thinly slicing the meat, you only get a little sliver of bark on the edges.

Lee has a great brisket method.

I've got two kinds of chips already, hickory and mesquite. The local hardware store started carrying many more that I saw, including apple and cherry, so I can pick up other flavors of smoke.
Using my grill and a foil pouch to play around already, I prefer the taste of hickory, which I read somewhere goes better with beef, and mesquite is geared more towards pork, so that is how I used them.

Thanks for the tip on adding the chips BS. I wasn't sure if leaving spent chips in would give off a funny flavor. There's one question answered :cool:

I have used both chips and chunks. I couldn't even tell the time I used chips that I had used anything. I get much better smoked results with chunks. I initially add about 4 or 5 chunks and then no more. With the size of the brisket you have though, I'd say 2 good-sized chunks will be plenty. The smoke will penetrate all it needs to within those first few hours. I did, ONE TIME ONLY, add more chunks as I went. It produced a bitterness that was not pleasant to eat!

I much prefer hickory over mesquite - with anything. Just not a mesquite fan, I guess. And you don't need to pull the chips - they will be basically gone/used up. I can't impress enough the lack of flavor they produce though. :ermm:

And no, it won't take as long. You'll just have to go by temp.

Thanks KE. I think I have the chips now, I'll see if they have the chunks here in a few minutes when I head over. So two chunks would be plenty then, thanks. If they don't have them I'll see if I can find some online for a size comparison on how many chips to use....
Hey, maybe I can Google 2 chunks = ? chips :LOL:

You wouldn't say my time would be cut in half though.... would you?

Which is why the chips didn't work for me i.e., long cooking. I do use chips when I use my stove-top smoker (but that is more the dust versus I guess).

LOL on the Google conversion! :LOL:

I'm glad too see the Zen Man finally debunk the old soak your wood myth...its benefits are miniscule at best, and mostly a waste of time. Now if only he would refrain from using the term "smoke penetrating the meat"....Smoke does not penetrate meat...it lays on the surface.

Just to repeat what bowlingshirt said...do not discard the "spent" chips or chunks...they are giving you the true essence of the wood!! Leave them be!!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

I quickly read just the title of this and was going to tell you Pacanis, just stop, stop at all costs, love yourself and your love enough to quit this habit. I did and know you can. And then I read the post and thought, oh............:(

I quickly read just the title of this and was going to tell you Pacanis, just stop, stop at all costs, love yourself and your love enough to quit this habit. I did and know you can. And then I read the post and thought, oh............:(

Smoking hunks of meat is also very addicting :blush:

Pacanis, you have a teeny WEENY piece of brisket (nothing personal), which will not take long to smoke.

I don't know what you are using for a cooker, but I'm thinking 2 fistfuls of chips will be PLENTY for the length of the cook. Put them on the coals in the beginning and don't add more. Oversmoking tastes horrible; undersmoking is fine.

Shoot for a cooking temp between 225 - 250. If you have a probe thermometer that you can keep in the meat while it's cooking, that's ideal. If not you will have to lift the lid to check the temp. Try to limit lifting the lid. If you use my method, you take the meat to an internal temp of 165 (I have no idea, but I might check for the first time at 2 hours), at which time you double-foil it and pour Rick's Sinful Marinade in the foil before closing it.

Put the foiled meat back on the pit and let it braise until the internal temp is 190-200 degrees, or when a fork poked into it slides in and out with the meat not pulling up at all, and no resistance.

Let rest for at least a half hour.

I think the biggest risks with such a small brisket are oversmoking it and/or drying it out.

The recipe below was developed by Rick Salmon, a champion BBQ'er, who posted it on the BBQ Forum. I have done VERY well in competitions using this recipe.

Lee

Rick's Sinful Marinade (pacanis, just use half of this)

 12 oz. can of beer
 ½ cup cider vinegar
 ½ cup of water
 ¼ cup olive oil
 ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
 1 tablespoon seasoned salt or rub.
 1 tablespoon celery seed
 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix the ingredients and baste as necessary, or add when wrapping at about 165*.

Hey! A recipe I actually have all the ingredients for :-p Thanks, Lee, and for the guidelines, too. I hadn't decided yet if I was going to wrap it or stick it in a cooler, what with all the threads and methods I was looking at last night. And now I know it will take nowhere close to what I was thinking.
Two fistfulls of chips; Very good guideline. I know I was using 4x that amount when I was fooling around with smoking using my grill. And all the store had was chips, so I may need to find a source for chunks if I keep playing with this.

UB, if smoke doesn't penetrate the meat, what causes the smoke ring? Just curious what causes that, or for the meat to turn pink....

I got the initial stuff for my trash can smoker and hope to start on it tonight :)
I'll take the brisket out tonight, too, so it will thawed by Friday night and I can put the rub on and wrap it in plastic wrap overnight :)

Just gotta pick up some good rolls and more cole slaw. I'm shooting for Saturday. And I'm sure I'll have other questions. Thanks everybody.

And for being concerned with my health too Lefs ;)

pacanis said:
UB, if smoke doesn't penetrate the meat, what causes the smoke ring? Just curious what causes that, or for the meat to turn pink....

In simple terms the smoke ring (not really a smoke ring) in meats is caused by a chemical reaction between potassium & sodium nitrates, and the myoglobin (color pigment) in the meat. The ash (some of the visible stuff in smoke) is rich in the nitrates, so as the smoke (ash) lays on the meat the chemical reaction begins creating this pinkish ring in the meat. This ring can be artificially created using curing salts...so the "smoke ring' is no longer a consideration when judging bbq competitions. The nitrogen dioxide in curing salts is what causes cured meats (bologna, weenies, etc) to have their characteristic pinkish color. The chemical reaction seems to stop somewhere around 120*...So if you want to play with the process, take your meat to the fire cold...Also the depth of color depends more on the moisture of the meat than upon the density of the smoke...IMO.. don't sweat the 'smoke ring'...it has very little bearing on the final product, and is only important to Smoke blowers.:LOL:

Blue Skies!

"and is only important to Smoke blowers.:LOL:"

LOL....
Thanks for the info!

the difference between using chip or chunks is that chunks will smoke longer and are good for a big smoker, they will tend to catch fire in a smaller smoker and this will throw off the temp, chips will put out a good amount of smoke for cooking in a backyard smoker, just soak them and keep them somewhat covered with either a chip box or wrapped in a foil packet, when the smoke stops just add more if you need more smoke time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom