How to prepare fresh beans???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Hey folks, while down at the farmer's market, they had fresh speckled butter beans. I have never dealt with fresh beans and don't have a clue how you would prepare them as compared to dried beans.

Any tips? I'm gonna go see what I can find on the www....

Think of dried beans that have soaked overnight and are now rehydrated back to their normal fresh state.....ready to cook.

Your farmer's market beans are fresh....read to cook, any way you like.

Miss Sattie...When I think of fresh butter beans I first think yummy! Next I think pork..as in ham trimmings...ham hocks...sometimes bacon. I use a very simple method....water, beans, salt, and flavoring meat in the pot...simmer until done/tender. They are delicious...Sometimes I have been known cut back on the pork flavoring meat...and just before the beans are done...throw in several links of venison/pork sausage...Yum! Serve over/with cornbread!! I like to eat butter beans in a bowl...that way I get plenty of juice (pot-likker) When the beans are gone...and no one is looking.:ermm:.......I drink da juice!!!!!!!:LOL:

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips and thanks for the cooking idea UB! I'm gonna be making these up tonight for sure!

Think of dried beans that have soaked overnight and are now rehydrated back to their normal fresh state.....ready to cook.

Your farmer's market beans are fresh....read to cook, any way you like.

I've found the fresh beans take quite a bit less time than those that were dried and "reconstituted." The ones that, when from dried, would take an hour to cook, when starting with fresh, take less than half an hour. Or, you can saute them if you like. I keep tasting them so I don't overcook them.

yes yes yes ... cook in a broth or with a meat flavoring (if you only do poultry then smoked turkey is great for such flavorings) a spring of fresh thyme or cherval is great. I always like greens with my beans and cornbread but that's your choice. Whether or not you do a meat main is your business but chops or chicken grilled or pan cooked, or fish.

And yes the cooking liquid is the pot licker...good for you and tasty fer sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom