Tonights grub 8-7-08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT72884

Head Chef
So as we speak i have a pork butt slow cooking in liquid smoke, soy sauce, garlic and bananas.

I went to the cheese market and asked for a good sharp cheese that will go well with my hawaiian pulled pork. They sold me a swiss cheese called Gyere or something close to that. it was 20$ a freakin pound though.

i need soemthing else to go with this dish, like some sorta rice or soemthing with carbs.

Right now i have pulled pork, cheese with melon and apples

thanx in advance

What they sold you was Gruyere; that cheese is best shredded and used melted on onion soup, etc. It is very expensive and I don't buy it very often. I would use a nice sharp cheddar and save the Gruyere for something fancy. It is a wonderful cheese.

Ouch. You spent $20/lb for cheese and are trying to house your wheeler for a hundred bucks....

Well OK, this is a cooking forum, but don't post that nonsense on any of your ATV forums :LOL:

So how did it come out? Bananas? Interesting.

What they sold you was Gruyere; that cheese is best shredded and used melted on onion soup, etc. It is very expensive and I don't buy it very often. I would use a nice sharp cheddar and save the Gruyere for something fancy. It is a wonderful cheese.

yeah thats it, it almost reminds me of fresh par-ma-shawn. It was good though because i had grapes, fiji apples and cantaloupe. However the pulled pork didnt taste like what i wanted.

Ouch. You spent $20/lb for cheese and are trying to house your wheeler for a hundred bucks....

Well OK, this is a cooking forum, but don't post that nonsense on any of your ATV forums :LOL:

So how did it come out? Bananas? Interesting.

well the pulled pork turned out but not what i wanted. It didnt taste like what i wanted BUT then again, i was feelin sick to my stomach like i am now. I think i have something because ever since i ate my salad yester day with a bowl of chili, i have felt sick!

the bananas are supposed to act like banana leaves that you would wrap a real pig in for kalua pork. I dont think i had enough liquid smoke and there was about 2 -3 cups of juices so the pork was not dry.. i think i need a better recipe.

LT - ok, this is what you do - new way (not in your smoker and not in a crockpot).

Get another pork butt and rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper, just like you would if you were using your smoker. A LITTLE liquid smoke would be ok too.

Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F.

Place a casserole dish on the bottom rack of your oven filled with apple juice. Place your pork butt directly over this pan on the rack above...yes, just sitting on the rack.

Cook until it reaches an internal temp of 200 degrees, or thereabouts. Just do your best to get it over 190 but NO LESS than 190. Mine would only get to like 205 (my goal was 210) but it just wouldn't get there).

You will notice that the outside will get nice and brown, this is called the "bark" and is the "prize" of smoked pork butts!

Take the meat out (watch out as it will want to fall apart) very carefully keeping in one piece and let rest. Once rested for about 30 minutes pull away. You can either eat the bark as your prize or add it to the rest.

Now, do NOT go and ruin this with a bbq sauce from the grocery store. Do you still have that recipe I sent you? If not, let me know. Once pulled don't add your sauce to everything - drizzle it on your sandwich or your plated pork.

With this oven method you can still go do your "thing". Last time I did this the pork butt I had was HUGE (from Sam's Club) and it took 20 hours). One you get from the grocery store should take about 6 - 10 hours - it's just hard to tell.

LT - ok, this is what you do - new way (not in your smoker and not in a crockpot).

Get another pork butt and rub with olive oil, salt, and pepper, just like you would if you were using your smoker. A LITTLE liquid smoke would be ok too.

Preheat your oven to 225 degrees F.

Place a casserole dish on the bottom rack of your oven filled with apple juice. Place your pork butt directly over this pan on the rack above...yes, just sitting on the rack.

Cook until it reaches an internal temp of 200 degrees, or thereabouts. Just do your best to get it over 190 but NO LESS than 190. Mine would only get to like 205 (my goal was 210) but it just wouldn't get there).

You will notice that the outside will get nice and brown, this is called the "bark" and is the "prize" of smoked pork butts!

Take the meat out (watch out as it will want to fall apart) very carefully keeping in one piece and let rest. Once rested for about 30 minutes pull away. You can either eat the bark as your prize or add it to the rest.

Now, do NOT go and ruin this with a bbq sauce from the grocery store. Do you still have that recipe I sent you? If not, let me know. Once pulled don't add your sauce to everything - drizzle it on your sandwich or your plated pork.

With this oven method you can still go do your "thing". Last time I did this the pork butt I had was HUGE (from Sam's Club) and it took 20 hours). One you get from the grocery store should take about 6 - 10 hours - it's just hard to tell.

ok i will try that one next. I just wanted to try and make a hawiian pulled pork cuz they taste different. Is cooking it in liquid a bad idea?

ok i will try that one next. I just wanted to try and make a hawiian pulled pork cuz they taste different. Is cooking it in liquid a bad idea?

No, it's not a bad idea. You cooked it in a crockpot? I can't remember now. You need the liquid in the crockpot to create a moist cooking environment.

When you do "pulled pork", like I described, you don't want it sitting in the liquid, you want it to develop this bark/crust on the outside. The downside to the oven is it won't have that nice Hickory smoke flavor. The upside is it doesn't seem as intimidating as smoking.

No, it's not a bad idea. You cooked it in a crockpot? I can't remember now. You need the liquid in the crockpot to create a moist cooking environment.

When you do "pulled pork", like I described, you don't want it sitting in the liquid, you want it to develop this bark/crust on the outside. The downside to the oven is it won't have that nice Hickory smoke flavor. The upside is it doesn't seem as intimidating as smoking.

lol true. i AM STILL going to try smoking though. i have lost my appetite because its 9:30 and i still have not eatin breakfast. i did not eat dinner last night either. Im wondering if i got toxicity poisoning from my new vitamins.

lol true. i AM STILL going to try smoking though. i have lost my appetite because its 9:30 and i still have not eatin breakfast. i did not eat dinner last night either. Im wondering if i got toxicity poisoning from my new vitamins.

Did you take the recommended dosage? Did you take them on an empty stomach? Did you take a combination of them and some of them contain the same vitamin?

Did you take the recommended dosage? Did you take them on an empty stomach? Did you take a combination of them and some of them contain the same vitamin?

i have taken the recomended dosage of my multivitamin but i only take half of my super antioxidant. im thinking that i might be getting to much vitamin A. BUT i cant tell untill i find out what berry extracts from my super antioxident have vitamin A in them. It cant be iron poisoning because i get 50% of that. No i did not tke them on an empty stomach. I had two pieces of toast and a bottle of water. it sucks because everytime i think of food, i get sick to my stomach.

Any way. lately i have not been satisfied with my cooking. Im starting to get depressed man. Im either doing soemthing wrong or the climate in my house is whacked or something. I have not made a good tasting meal for a while. Maybe im going to fast and not be patient enough when adding or preparing the meal..

Slow down and go back to the basics, and take new techniques one at a time. Trying to learn too much too fast can be overwhelming.
Oh, and avoid my mistake: when something does work well, write it down!!!!! LOL.

And spend more than $100 on the shed, LOL.

Slow down and go back to the basics, and take new techniques one at a time. Trying to learn too much too fast can be overwhelming.
Oh, and avoid my mistake: when something does work well, write it down!!!!! LOL.

And spend more than $100 on the shed, LOL.

LOL, more than 100 bucks? oh man, im poor man.

I need to take my time rather than hurry through it. Like i have had soem dang good pulled pork before from other peoples house, but yet when i make it, it tastes nothing like it.. I dont get it. I really need to try out KE's version.

LT - bad cooking must be in the stars - my meals haven't turned out the best lately either. My gazpacho turned out GREAT though!!!! The chicken turned out not so great!

LT - bad cooking must be in the stars - my meals haven't turned out the best lately either. My gazpacho turned out GREAT though!!!! The chicken turned out not so great!
it drives me nuts, i must be perfect. LOL jk.. last nights fried spaghetti was good

Hey, is this the food-for-the-day post, or is it just to help out our friend LT here?(Sorry you're not feeling well, LT).

Hey, is this the food-for-the-day post, or is it just to help out our friend LT here?(Sorry you're not feeling well, LT).
it was originally to help me with my pulled pork that didnt turn out.

Yeah for some reason i have eaten very little and i seem to loose my appetite very quickly and get nauseated when i look at food. it sux.

Back
Top Bottom