Adding smoke on a gas grill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
OK, for those of you, like me that like the convenience of a gas grill, but would like that natural smoke flavor here is what I did and it worked GREAT!

I purchased some apple wood chips(for grilling/smoking), soaked them for a couple of hours in water. I then partially wrapped them foil, leaving the top open. I laid them over the burner, but not in the direct flame. I wanted them to smolder, not flame.

Once the grill got hot, the wood produced a nice smoke without flame. The food was terrific. I cooked a couple of steaks before roasting the pork I was really wanting the smoke for. Very simple, effective method for adding that smoke flavor.

Yep, that's basically what I do.
Except I don't soak the chips, they work just fine dry. And after I wrap them in foil, I poke a few knife holes in the foil. Set it on the heat deflector and you're good to go.

Yeah GB, thats on my "list". Much easier.
Almost bought one last week, then we ran out of propane for the gas grill, can't really refill right now....
Maybe I'll get one for Christmas....
or Labor Day.
:)

A few years ago I decided to add pecan chips to chicken on a charcoal grill. You can't believe the fantastic flavor pecan gives chicken. Lately, I've been reading a lot about using pecan on chicken especially on charcoal grills. Heck, I thought I was on to something. :LOL:

add pecan chips to chicken

It must be heck having to pick out those pecan chips when it's time to eat! :LOL:

Sowwy....anyway - where did you buy your pecan?

Jeff, good for you. It really kicks up gas grilling, doesn't it? And like someone else mentioned, there is no need to soak wood chunks or chips. If you get a chance to buy chunks do that. Try some Hickory but only use a chunk or two. REALLY smoky and wonderful! Do you indirect cook at all?

Oh sure, if you want something specific..... ;)

Seriously, is there any advantage to a smoke box over tin foil? Does it smolder the chips better, make them last longer..... anything? Do I need one? :chef: OK, I know. I need one :LOL:

Nope no read advantage. Do you want to pay up front and not have to deal with disposable foil or would you rather be just use foil each time and not have to shell out $5 all at once. Both methods will work equally well though as far as getting smoke on your food.

I suppose it would be nice to have something you can use over and over.
Can you open it easily once it has been heated, to add more chips?

Even at only needing a potato ricer once a year I'd use it more because I use chunks versus chips. Chunks wouldn't fit. :-p Now, have I talked you out of it? :rolleyes:

Well, that's a very good point you have there.
But I don't even know where to get chunks around here..... And they could always be broken down to fit if I ever find them :)

Back
Top Bottom