Bone In Pork Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I have a 4.69 pound bone in pork roast that I'd like to prepare for company this Wednesday.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? I usually just salt & pepper the roast well, and roast it in a 325 oven for however long my chart tells me to do it. I'd like to do something a little more special for my friends.
Any help will be appreciated.

I have a 4.69 pound bone in pork roast that I'd like to prepare for company this Wednesday.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? I usually just salt & pepper the roast well, and roast it in a 325 oven for however long my chart tells me to do it. I'd like to do something a little more special for my friends.

You will get a lot of responses to this question but if you want a ton of recipes just google "bone in pork loin recipes."
Lots of good ideas there. I'm a purist so I just do what you do, salt and pepper, into the roaster and surround with partially peeled baby reskin potatoes. Side dishes of veggies, maybe asparagus or steamed broccoli. Not fancy, but oh so very good.

When you say pork roast are you talking about a pork butt cut of meat?

I have two favorite ways:

1. Place a 9 x 13 pan with apple juice on bottom rack and place salted, peppered, and oiled roast right on rack right above it. Cook at 225 F. until done - this could take about 8 hours, depending on the size of the roast. I got one from Sam's one time and it was huge! It took 20 hours :ermm: Luckily I didn't actually needed it until the next day but I was hoping to use part of it for appys the night before...oh well...we really didn't need it anyway.

2. Oil, salt, pepper, wrap in aluminum foil, place in shallow pan - 350 for about 6 hours usually does it.

Either way you want the meat to come to an internal temp of at least 190 - 200 is even better but not 100% necessary. When it reaches the 200 degree mark, especially using the #1 choice above, you'll think you are eating pork-flavored butter :pig::cool: It pulls beautifully into hunks or "strings".

Elf, if you cook the meat to that high a temperature, doesn't it come out kinda dry? That is way beyond well done.

The slow roasting over the applejuice sure sounds good! :)

Hi June...no, it is wrapped in the foil and it comes out very moist. Though 325 would be fine too. My all-time favorite way is simply on the rack over apple juice - I can't even stress how delectable this is! The outside gets this "bark" on it and the reward for waiting patiently for it to cook and BE the cook is to pick off the bark after it has rested for about 30 minutes. Seriously, that's the best reason there is to cook it this way! :LOL: Then with left-overs you can have pulled pork sandwiches or just pulled pork on a plate. :pig: There's lots of options for the left-over meat!!!

Now that I'm thinking - it may even be 325 that I cook it at and not 350. They say memory is the first to go :blush:

What cut of pork is it? If it's a loin roast, then simple seasonings, like Vera suggested, at a relatively high temperature, would be great. If it's a Boston butt (aka shoulder) roast, then KitchenElf's recipe for long, slow cooking is a good one.

Here's a good diagram of a pig, to see where your roast came from: Hog Cuts Interactive Chart - Just click on the different parts of the hog to see what cuts are available from that part of the hog.

Why don't we have a drooling emoticon?????

img_667017_0_8ed136c575ed255cf0c3a43f9812ce2a.gif

My kitchen is actually one of the lower levels of Dante's Inferno...and any serious cooking must wait till hades freezes over...:LOL:
Okay, you're all forgiven for wishing it was winter. The temp here in northern lower Michigan went down to 51 last night and I'm freezing my gazoobies off already. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom