Digital fork thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are trash. The probe that goes into the food is very wide so it leaves you with a gaping hole for all your juice to leak out of. At least that is true of the ones I have seen.

I am not sure what you mean by conventional digital probe. Do you mean just the stick type with a digital readout?

how much of an issue is money? If you do not mind spending a pretty penny then get a Thermopen. They are about $90, but are very accurate and very fast.

If that is too much to spend (and most people would think it is) then I really like the Polder probe thermometers (the kind where the probe is attached by a wire).

If you don't mind spending the $ then get the Thermopen. It is the best thermometer I have ever owned. The probe is very narrow so you can take multiple readings and not worry about gaping holes in your meat.

The stick type and probe (with wire) type are designed to do different things. the probe with wire you stick in the meat and leave the entire cooking time. This is great for large roast when you want to continually monitor the temp and don't want to have to keep opening and closing the oven or grill and keep jabbing your food.

The stick type of good for other things where you do not need to continually monitor the temp. It is good to have both, but you can get away with one.

I just bought this. America's Test Kitchen recently rated it their top choice for this type of thermometer. Not in the same class as the Thermopen, but more affordable at about $18. They liked it because it is accurate and fastest of the group.

Thanks for the additional replies and link!
I ended up ordering the less expensive CND stick thermometer mentioned above among other items, including a CND oven thermometer from cheftools.

This one is quite cheep ($11.99 Wal-Mart), cheaply built, but works and I consider it disposable at that price. The batteries almost cost more (4-AAA). It is wireless though so you can put the display in your pocket and read it through-out the house and it has a “Taste Alarm” and timer.

Not bad for the price, if it breaks I’ll just buy another one and it has a built in flashlight.

Attachments

• P1000337.jpg
    P1000337.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 213
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 267
Back
Top Bottom