Lemon Squishy Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tongs work well too. Hold the "food end" of the tong in your hand and put the lemon half in between the handles. You get great leverage, and if you have a set of tongs it wont cost anything.

_MG_5415_edited-1.jpg

I used the tong method for a long time and it does work great. I did break down and buy one of those squeezers though and I am happy I did. It works amazingly well. If you don't want to spend any money then tongs will get you where you need to go. If you are looking for an excuse to buy a new toy then the squeezer is a good one to get.

No need to pop it in the micro or roll it on the counter if you use the squeezer tool. That thing will get every last drop out no matter what you do or do not do.

I will either use the wooden lemon reamer (bottom row) I have or a fork. Those two things seem to work the best for me. I never thought about my tongs - - - my tongs don't seem like they would really hold up but I'll give them a try.

I've thought about the yellow one on the top row that squeezes the halves but it's hard to make myself buy it when my other two methods work.

No need to pop it in the micro or roll it on the counter if you use the squeezer tool.

Try nuking them once and you'll see the difference.

If I only need a couple table spoons a roll on the counter will work. But if you need alot or are trying to stretch out a lemon, the micro works great.

Try nuking them once and you'll see the difference.

If I only need a couple table spoons a roll on the counter will work. But if you need alot or are trying to stretch out a lemon, the micro works great.
Oh trust me I have used the micro method before, but with this lemon squeezer thing there is no need. This thing gets every last drop of juice out without doing anything else. Microwaving it first would not get you anything more because even without doing that you get every last drop.

I have to agree with GB on this - if you want to get the max juice then the lemon squeezer is the way to go because it crushes every vesicle (juice containing cell). And no, with one of these, there is no benefit gained from microwaving before crushing. My Aunt has one and I've used it ...

I, too, use a wooden reamer ... just because I have it (grew up with it) and I can get most of the juice out with it.

DH and I have seen the "squishy thing" on Guy's Big Bite alot... and we want one!!!
Thanks for the link to finding one!

Oh trust me I have used the micro method before, but with this lemon squeezer thing there is no need. This thing gets every last drop of juice out without doing anything else. Microwaving it first would not get you anything more because even without doing that you get every last drop.

GB - are you talking about the yellow gadget that squeezes the half? See, now you're gonna talk me into that thing. And the link I provided has one where you put in an insert for a lime....now look...you're gonna make me spend my husband's hard-earned money and don't think I won't tell him it's your fault!!! :ermm:

I've used something similar for years, to squeeze limes for limeades. I even have one, sized appropriately for limes.

I've never thought of using tongs for juicing limes/lemons before. One of the pairs I have here would definitely work, as would most of the tongs we have at work.

No need to pop it in the micro or roll it on the counter if you use the squeezer tool. That thing will get every last drop out no matter what you do or do not do.
And it keeps the seeds out of your juice. You can also quarter oranges and use it for those too. I love mine and, thankfully, it's white not bright yellow like most I've seen. I got it from Pampered Chef.

How is a reamer very differrent than a fork ?

Being made for the fruit in question, a reamer does a better job. I can apply more force with a reamer and not worry about bending it. The reamer has reaming ribs around the perimeter so it can attack more of the fruit at one turn.

Back
Top Bottom