Composting - Katie E and I were just talking about this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
and I went online to get answers.
we talked about compost and how to make it and this subject came up. embarrassing, but I thought I'd ask her.
my chiropractor uses it in his soil for around his tomatoes.
no, although he gives them to me, he's told me this POI, so, I take 'em home and dispose of them.
now I read some things about this questionable subject.

My ex-BIL used to do that, with the doggie stuff....
thanks GOODNESS I was able to not have to take the tomatoes home because I had 6 times as many of my own....
and they were a little cleaner.
I do compost....
Nope, sorry, I wouldn't do it or eat them I dont care who says its "ok".

hahha thats funny.

I actually started burying some of my organic (i guess you would call it.) like peel and scraps of the veggies.

I dig a whole dump it in and then cover it up.

hahha thats funny.

I actually started burying some of my organic (i guess you would call it.) like peel and scraps of the veggies.

Your organic/vegetable waste is perfectly fine. Over time, you can have fabulous compost.

As far as doggie, um, "stuff," I don't want to go there. Emotionally I have a problem with it.

I alwasy wanted a compost pile but when I was livingi n PA we had to worry abotu bears and deer and the dogs

No back on Long Island I still have to worry about the dogs and the smell.

So i figure it couldnt hurt, and If i bury it it solves my problems and will hopfully regenerate the soil.

I have lions and tigers and bears.....
ok bears and deer... no problems.
and correctly made compost doesn't smell.
My mom had a pile in the middle of the bronx.

well the smell doesnt bother me if there is one. its the dogs that would take things out of there.

Next year im going to not use a part of the parents garden to make a small compost pile since the dogs will be back at our place

Yes, GotGarlic, I use only vegetable matter. This list is endless: coffee grounds, tea/tea bags, banana peels, potato and carrot peels, waste from trimming peppers, fruit skins, onion skins, egg shells (rinsed). There are more. I just can't remember everything that goes into my compost bin.

It was really quite surprising how the kitchen trash can stayed empty after we started putting things into the compost bin. That, coupled with some minor recycling, really changed how much waste went out of our house.

you got that right Katie... even with all the diapers we were able to save some $$ on trash pickup and get the smaller dumpster...
BTW... i've been meaning to ask....
can cooked veggies go in compost, as long as they are just steamed or boiled w/ only a little salt?
I would assume so, but I've been throwing them out anyway.

hahha thats funny.

I let all the bug tasted or old veggies rot on the soil. After I pull the plants out in the fall, I'll till in all the old fruits and even any non ripened ones on the plants.

I may get some plants I don't want next year, but my soil will be better.

As for dog poo, I'm pretty sure there isn't any nutritional value left in it.

I forgot to ask you this Katie.
I have a receptacle in the yard that is basically an oversized toy box made out of oak plywood with a hinged lid made of same stuff.
Is it okay to go to Home Dept. and buy a real heavy duty plastic giant bag of sorts and put it in there and then do my compost stuff on top of that?
Or do I not need to use a plastic bag? Thinking it may rot out eventually the wood or no? Gad I'm clueless here. Also, does it stink, of course I'd only use the paper, grass cuttings, veg and fruit matter in there plus those worms we spoke of. I mean if it stinks once made, I don't want to draw flies or have it smell up the place, plus, it could cause a DeeVorce:wacko:

I don't care who says it's "okay & perfectly safe". If you have any sense at all you will not use human waste - or the waste of cats & dogs - in your compost pile. And while some people add kitchen meat & fish scraps, both tend to attract animals & vermin, regardless of how well you bury it.

Kitchen vegetable scraps, as well as the manure of poultry & herbivores are terrific, & should be more than enough to not warrant having to go - ahem - elsewhere for "manure".

The above isn't just my personal opinion & experience, it's very well-documented by far far more gardening professionals than the few nut-jobs who oppose it.

well the smell doesnt bother me if there is one. its the dogs that would take things out of there.

Next year im going to not use a part of the parents garden to make a small compost pile since the dogs will be back at our place
They have ones with lids that latch. The dogs wouldn't have an issue with the compost bin, I promise. What you put in wouldn't have any appeal to a dog. When was the last time you saw a dog eat a banana peel, egg shells, or coffee grinds? My aunt has one right on the Allegheny river and none of the animals bother it.

I forgot to ask you this Katie.
I have a receptacle in the yard that is basically an oversized toy box made out of oak plywood with a hinged lid made of same stuff.
Is it okay to go to Home Dept. and buy a real heavy duty plastic giant bag of sorts and put it in there and then do my compost stuff on top of that?
Or do I not need to use a plastic bag? Thinking it may rot out eventually the wood or no? Gad I'm clueless here. Also, does it stink, of course I'd only use the paper, grass cuttings, veg and fruit matter in there plus those worms we spoke of. I mean if it stinks once made, I don't want to draw flies or have it smell up the place, plus, it could cause a DeeVorce:wacko:

Here's how we made our composter: DH put six 3-foot or so 4x4s into the ground, in two parallel rows with the 4x4s about 18 inches apart, and sank them into concrete (they're about 3 feet tall above the ground), forming two squares. Then he wrapped chicken wire around the entire thing, and between the two squares, so we have two sections about the same size. This is so we have a primary composter, where fresh veggie scraps go, and a secondary one, where compost from the first one goes after several months.

He cut out some of the chicken wire near the bottom of the first one, to make an opening where he could shovel out and turn over the compost, and put it back in. This mixes it up very well. After several months there, the compost is moved to the secondary composter. He also cut out some on a different side of the second one, so when the compost is done, I can shovel or scoop out however much I need, for the garden or a container or whatever. I hope that all makes sense :ermm:

We covered the chicken wire with lattice and painted it green, so it looks nice. We live in a city neighborhood, on a 40'x140' lot with an alley in the back and never had any complaints from neighbors or passersby about odor or looks. In fact, people regularly ask about it. Worked great till DH's shoulders got the better of him. Two rotator cuff surgeries later and he doesn't want to compost anymore, understandably.

They have ones with lids that latch. The dogs wouldn't have an issue with the compost bin, I promise. What you put in wouldn't have any appeal to a dog. When was the last time you saw a dog eat a banana peel, egg shells, or coffee grinds? My aunt has one right on the Allegheny river and none of the animals bother it.

You're right, Callisto - our dog never showed any interest in the compost.

re: lids, using a closed receptacle with a lid will prevent the worm and bacteria activity that helps break down the scraps into compost. It defeats the purpose. Why do they sell them, then? Because people will buy them.

.re: lids, using a closed receptacle with a lid will prevent the worm and bacteria activity that helps break down the scraps into compost. It defeats the purpose. Why do they sell them, then? Because people will buy them.
thanks GG, KatieE helped me out with a great idea of drilling holes in the top and/or around the side of it.
these toy boxes, we call them, they are AWFUL. cost us $1700 for this custom made breakfast nook area with the table. my husband designed the look he wanted then contracted it out to be made. the night delivered, he came home and took one by one outside and said, "Get ready for a huge old bonfire!" he was furious to say the least. anyway, they are in the back yard and he is always asking me when they're going to be picked up by SalArmy or GoodWilling. so I figured that I can use one of the 6 seating units for the compost vessel. can't see why not, heck, they oughta be good for something...

Back
Top Bottom