Linda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda Lockwood

Assistant Cook
Hi, I just joined today and am looking forward to new ideas. I want to know if anyone has a good way to ripen fruit, like peaches, without attracting fruit flies. I have tried a paper bag, which works well, but in August I always get fruit flies all over and inside the bag.

Thanks, Linda

Hi Linda, welcome to DC !

To speed up the ripening process in peaches, place them in a loosely sealed brown paper bag on the counter. The peaches give off ethylene gas - a natural ripening hormone - which is trapped inside the bag causing the fruit to ripen faster. You can do this with a plastic bag too, but the plastic doesn't "breathe" as well as the paper, meaning moisture may collect causing your perfectly ripened peaches to rot.
Once ripe, peaches should be refrigerated and used within a few days (although they'll taste better at room temp). Ripe peaches have a sweet fragrance, are soft (but not mushy) to the touch and have a golden undertone.
This ripening trick also works for apricots, nectarines, avocados, bananas, kiwi, mangoes, pears and plums.

Linda, I've got the same fruit fly problem here!
However, I have noticed that when you place some citrus fruit next to it, it will ripen a bit quicker. Works well for bananas & avocados too.

Hi and welcome to DC Linda!! I can't help you with the fruit fly thing, but there is no doubt that you will find your answer in these pages-lots and lots of smart, friendly people willing to help!!

Back
Top Bottom