Tattoos???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
My wife and I recently celebrated our anniversary, and she got me what I thought was a very imaginative and cool gift-a gift certificate from a tattoo parlor!! (I didn't see that comin'!)

I'll be 50 years old next year, and I've made it this long without any "body art", or piercings etc. I think the gift stems from me over the years, whenever I had a couple of beers, threaten to get a tattoo of this or that-you know, whatever struck my fancy that day. Of course, the next day, that idea was the furthest thing from my mind.

Now, I'm pretty indifferent about them. Some I've seen are really cool, while some were obviously just flat out bad ideas. And I've actually got a couple of designs in mind-nothing big, and definitely under the shirt sleeve, but something occured to me and now I'm like a deer in the headlights-

Would a tattoo be considered "desecrating" ones body-that is to say, from a religious point of view? I'm not a devout Christian, but I most certainly believe, and especially at my age, one starts to come to grips with their own mortality, and how they will spend the hereafter.

I know the question is a very subjective one, but I thought I'd throw it out to the smartest people I know-I do value your thoughts, opinions etc. Thanks!!

WOW! Now that's a question. I think that is really between you and God. I would suggest you pray about it and if He gives you peace about it then go for it, if not, then don't do it. Any answers that you get here are going to be personal opinions and in the end the only opinion that matters is His!

I wouldn't choose to have a tattoo, but I am a devout Christian, and I do not believe it would be desecrating your body, from a religious standpoint. That is my personal opinion, of course.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Dearest Smoke king if I may also throw my opinion in on tattoos. It boils down to personal choice. Tattoos, display a statement permanently immbedded into one's outer layers, christianity is within one's sole, heart and mind. Personally I would wince at the thought of so many needles peircing my skin but then again I'm a big sook to pain. I would think tattoos or no tattoos would get an entry into the hereafter and like you said it's below the shirt sleeve so just pray St Peter does'nt request a strip search on TATTOOS the day you enter..... only kidding!!!

Im not very religous but am a christian and I have my beliefs. As one of the above posters said it is all in your heart mind and soul (faith).

God isnt going not let you in becuase of some ink.

From a spiritual tattoo standpoint (kinda like surfing people)

A tattoo should have meaning. A deeper meanign then that is jsut on the surface (no pun intended) Tattooing in the original cultures that developed it had siritual meanings to it. Now a days people are tattooing the stupidest things on there body and not thinking about the future they are getting tattoos just to get a tattoo.

My tattoos all have meaning same with my freind who has full sleeves.

So IMO its all a personal preference

sidenote. My freind was getting his back done and 2 girls maybe 18 come walking in and are like I want to get a tattoo, Im bored. She had woken up her other freind dragged her out of the house and made her get a tattoo also. and they paid for it with mommy and daddys credit card.

Bobby the tattoo artist hates doing that but he needs to pay the bills other wise he would have said no to them.

You could get some kind of religious tattoo if you want.
Like a cross but it seems almost everyone has that.
My dad liked the idea of getting the praying hands
tattooed but he died before he had it done. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone. I guess I just needed to hear it. And I agree with GTK 100%-it needs to have personal meaning-given the "permanence" (is that a word?) of a tattoo, I don't think it should be taken lightly.

As far as consulting with a priest, they too, are human, and while he could probably provide some guidance and insight, the bottom line is that it would still only be one mans opinion. You could ask 10 priests and get 10 answers.

So thanks again everybody. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, so I'll have to give it some more thought, but I do feel better about it now.

Tattoos are no more a desecration of the body than smoking, obesity, drugs, alcohol etc. We all do things to our body that may from some spiritual perspective be desecration. I agree with the idea about praying about it first and to get something that means something to you. I don't know if you watched the Olympics but Misty May-Treanor has a tattoo on her shoulder of her mom's initials with angelwings and a halo that she got after her mom died. That is a wonderful way to pay tribute to the relationship she had with her mom. Good luck and yes please show us pics!

I have ink and piercings and I am religious, but I can't speak for your beliefs or relationship with your creator. That is personal and I certainly don't dictate it. If someone thinks my tattoos are a desecration, that is his or her problem not mine. I think putting ketchup on eggs is a desecration, but that's my problem not the person who is enjoying his or her eggs with a sweet tomato topping.

2 things to remember: 1) good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good. 2) body art is addictive; and if you are bothering to get some good ink, take care of it...wear sunscreen.

enjoy

All I have is a few dots from one I tried to give myself in highschool. I'm glad it did not take. I came close to getting one back in Febuary when I went to visit my friend in Austin who was participating in a tattoo convention. I guess it is not meant to be for me.

Like others have said, prayer is a good start.

I've never had any but at 54 I wouldn't mind having one as long as it's not loud. At this point in my life it's hard to make a 'mistake'.....however you may want to interpret that.

Personally I don't think God is going to turn you away just because you've inked yourself.
If you truely do decide to go through with this please take your time and decide on something truly meaningful to you. Get it in an area that you can conceal with clothing if you so wish and don't go too small or too big. By all means go to someone with a reputable reputation and not a shady shop.
I have been toying with the idea to get one for many years and have decided that I am going to finally get one by the end of the year. I have several ideas that will hold very special meaning to me and I'm going to have the person tattooing me sketch and incorporate them both so that I will end up with only one. Mine will be in memory of my parents and brother and the main aspect will be a hummingbird with vines and small flowers and within the vines I am thinking having their first initials but I'm going to leave that up to the tattoo artist who is extremely talented.
Personally, I love my DH with all my heart and soul but would never put his name on my body for there is no guarantee of happily ever after in this life and I wouldn't want to go through life with that on me if God forbid our relationship ended. Just something to think about.

.... -a gift certificate from a tattoo parlor!! (I didn't see that comin'!)

I'll be 50 years old next year, and I've made it this long without any "body art", or piercings etc. I think the gift stems from me over the years, whenever I had a couple of beers, threaten to get a tattoo of this or that-you know, whatever struck my fancy that day. Of course, the next day, that idea was the furthest thing from my mind.

Now, I'm pretty indifferent about them. Some I've seen are really cool, while some were obviously just flat out bad ideas. And I've actually got a couple of designs in mind-nothing big, and definitely under the shirt sleeve, but something occured to me and now I'm like a deer in the headlights-

Smoke King, most of your post sounds to me as if you don't WANT a tattoo (for what it's worth, me either).

If you really don't, then thank your wife profusely for a very thoughtful idea, but "no thanks".

If you think you might want one, PLEASE get it when you are sober!

Lee

The first tattoo is a big step. Which I think is the reason why so many people who want one never get one. the nerves, the fact its permanent, you dont knwo the extent of the pain.

but as another poster mentioned. It is very addictive. Extremely addictive.

Hi Smole King. I'm not positive about this but I think tattoos and religion go way back. I vaguely recall from my childhood studies that the Knights Templar all had tattos so that they could be recognizable to each other. It was a safety thing from those who would want to infiltrate their organization or something like that. Anyway, these very religious men had tattoos and it didn't prevent any of them from entering the gates to heaven. Like some of the other posts, if the tattoo is personal, with a special meaning, how can it be wrong? It's all about preference. I don't think your wife would have given you something that would hurt you, especially on your anniversary! Just my thoughts....
Dash

IMO I think when the Bible says you should not desecrate your body it was more reffering to disrespecting your body and having a whatever or who cares attitude....but as Dash said, if a tatoo has significant meaning and you are not just mindlessly doodling then its not a sin. This is a definate follow your heart situation!

Also IMO I beleive this is simular to my situation of my having a child out of wedlock, it is considered a sin by many but with all my soul I know in my heart that God considers her a blessing and she was a gift to us (we both thought we were unable to have children for different reasons). So anytime I feel someone is judging me on us not being married yet I remind myself that it is not THEIR ok that is needed!

well smoke king you saw the other tattoo thread.
you know how many of us feel about them.
as with many personal feelings wrapped up in all of us, the subject can be a slippery slope.
saying too much regarding political beliefs, faith based opinions, how you feel or what you think on any given subject, can and will be held up to scrutiny.

like vb said, if you're really concerned about it, ask your clergy person. or seek out the answers yourself via the Book.

for me, I am not in favor of them. our sons each have several. they know I am [in no way] a fan. my husband [just in last year or two] got his first and only two. he did ask how I felt about it first. he also knows that answer.

I guess what I'm saying is it's their body. so ...it's your body. it's how 'you' feel. do you think it's desecrating? do you think it honors your temple or messes it up? that's all up to you and your own opinion, after all it's your body.

I adore my sons and all in here know how I feel about my husband. it's their body to do what they want on its outside. their body art is not in bad taste. my little boy has his affection for volkswagen, san diego and beautiful women on his sleeve. our big boy, his are all tributes to being in the military, being very patriotic, his wife that is an RN, his deceased best friend and tribute to 911. my husband has me on one arm, his parents air force graduation snapshot on the other.
I think God will not be angered by any of them or with my men.

just my opinion. do keep us informed...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom