How do restaurants ruin pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just gotta know. How do restaurants make their pancakes so flexible and rubbery? Most restaurant pancakes I've had are like eating a thin, round, uniformly shaped sponge.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If you made a big batch of batter, let it sit around and occasionally beat the devil out of it would that do it? I don't have a clue.

It's the flour and the milk. White flour with all that gluten, and plain milk with little acid, sitting around and over beaten means a tough pancake.

Multi grain flours (not course grind, fine grind) with less gluten, and buttermilk will make you a melt in your mouth pancake.

The best mixes of multi grain fine grind flours I've come across in 52 years are:

Kansas Seal (by far the # 1 AWESOME pancakes)

and from Baltic Mills in Baltic Ohio, their store brand buckwheat. They also have a course milled multigrain (whole wheat graham and corn meals) which I mix with either of the other two to make a tender pancake.

I am sure there are others out there.

So we went to Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill, NH. Have to say they were perfect. Tried the sampler, which allowed me to choose from 6 batters, and several additions too. I got Oatmeal/Butter milk with chocolate chips and walnuts. Buckwheat with chocolate chips and coconut, and plain with coconut ( my favorite).

My wife tried the cornmeal pancakes and loved them too.

Real maple syrup , not the imitation crap. ( since we are in the right region)

Anyway, back to my vacation.

I don't know that I've had too many of the rubbery variety. I usually get the ones made out of this stuff.....

0205drywall2.jpg

Mostly they use a mix sort of like Bisquick. They're universally awful if not made from scratch.

thymeless

Around here most of our breakfast places serve a pretty good pancake. If you don't mind overpriced, IHOP makes good pancakes and outrageous corn cakes.

(IHOP--International House of Pancakes)....

For making them at home, my favorite is Jiffy Banana nut muffin mix with some pancake mix added to lighten it up. Just mix it up with egg and milk... very tasty!!!!

Most joints use a boxed mix because of unskilled help == lousy pancakes. It takes a real trooper to bail out of a warm bed when it is 20 below to go cook pancakes

I used to enjoy McDonald's pancakes... until they started to use pre cooked ones. :s

My wife is just spoiled, as am I. I have a great "from-scratch" pancake recipe that beats any boxed or packaged mix I've ever used. I can change the flavor profile to whatever strikes my fancy. I can make them taste like pumpkin pie, or chocolate, or blueberry pancakes, or buttermilk pankaces, or apple fritters, etc. I can even turn the basic recipe into cakes of various flavor. And the beauty of the recipe is that the basic version is soooooo easy. And the result is a light, fluffy, and moist pancake that is so tender, it melts in your mouth. Compare that with the rubbery version found in restaurants.

But I remember my first restaurant pancakes. They were as big as the plate. I was about ten years old, and I thought they were superb. It's not that I don't like restaurant pancakes, it's just that the texture is lacking. But they are edible, and do beat a sharp stick in the eye.:ROFLMAO:

For those newer members, there are a few people around here (including me) that make great scratch pancakes, and who would never use a pre-made mix. We might make them a bit differently, but all agree, they sure beat the restaurant version. Anyone who doesn't have my recipe, just ask. And I have several testimonials about my recipe from fellow DC'rs.

Goodweed, thank you for describing My pancakes above, and yes your pancakes are really much better than the restaurant ones, but admit they are only second best around here. :LOL:

Goodweed, thank you for describing My pancakes above, and yes your pancakes are really much better than the restaurant ones, but admit they are only second best around here. :LOL:

Charlie, I don't remember who did the comparison, but someone here on DC made both of our recipes and stated that they were both amazing, but completely different. This person also stated under which circumstances each would be best served. So, I tip my hat to you my freind for making very good pancakes. But better than mine, I don't think so. It's to bad you we don't live closer together. I'd have to challenge you to a "Throwdown".:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom