I want to make American cookies to impress my friends in UK.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly-anne

Assistant Cook
Hi guys.
Would you be so kind as to share some secrets on how I can make my cookies soft, moist and chewy to share with my friends.
I'm not the best baket and I'd really like to impress them.
Look forward to hearing from you.:angel:

One thing is to not overbake them. That will make them hard. I always start with the shorter time on the recipe and check them then. You can alway leave them in a couple of more minutes if they are not done. Storage is also important. Keep them in an airtight container. Sometimes, if you find them getting hard, you can add a slice of fresh bread or apple to the airtight container and that will soften them back up. Good Luck!

I would take a look through the Cookie sub forum - you'll get lots of ideas and lots of recipes already posted.

Do an advanced search in the cookie sub forum for the word chewy in the title only.

I did it already - here's the link

This is my favorite cookie recipe to give out -
I've tried to make UK conversions ( but I'm not very good at it!)

Anyway, these cookies are big and chewy - that's because of the brown sugar. You can also add pecans or walnuts if you'd like.

My favorite chocolate chip cookies

1 stick (115g) butter, room temperature
½ c. (90g) packed dark brown sugar
½ c. (112g) white sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp. (30 mL or 1 oz.) milk
2 tsp. (10 mL) vanilla extract (essence)
1 c. (115g) flour
1/2 c. (57g) (**see note) cake flour
1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL)baking powder
1/4 tsp. (1.75 mL) salt
1 c. (150 g.)semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat to 350f (177 c.) Cream butter & both sugars; add egg, milk & vanilla, mix. In a separate bowl, mix both flours, baking powder & salt. Add the dry ingredients 1/3 at a time to butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the chocolate chips. Using a size 40 spring-loaded cookie scoop (eqivalent to 1-1/2 Tbsp. ), scoop level measures of dough onto greased cookie sheet, spacing each 2" apart. Bake till browned & firm to the touch, about 12-15 min. They will be a bit firm to the touch, and the edges & bottom will be golden, not brown. Transfer to foil & cool.

**Weight is a problem, as cake flour weighs less than AP flour. So, whatever size vessel the regular, all-purpose flour fits into, you'll need exactly one half of that size for the cake flour)

Wishing you luck with your cookies.
I'm sure they'll be great!
I just got done making GhettoRacingKids banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and they are winners.

go online and search for "Cowboy Cookies"......the recipes are pretty much the same......never have I found any kid old and young alike who didn't like them.....similar to the infamous Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies but with some oatmeal added.....delicious..........I use Crisco but I found lard at Sainsbury's and it's just as good.......or you can use half lard and half butter......butter just makes the cookies spread out more which is fine, too..........

Kelly Anne, one of the tricks to chewy cookies (other than not overbaking) is to use warm margarine/butter. If you use some that is either room temp or slightly melted your cookies will be nice and bendy.

Back
Top Bottom