Angel food cake "tricks" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I want to strt making my own, rather than using a mix. I have a few recipes but does anyone have any tricks?

Also, I don't keep cream of tarter and cake flour in the house, either.

Cold beater and bowl. Honestly though, its more trouble than its worth most of the time. Its so much simpler to buy the mix. Its tough to find a use for all those egg yolks later. (If you decide to do this, I suggest making pasta with the egg yolks later)

Cold beater and bowl. Honestly though, its more trouble than its worth most of the time. Its so much simpler to buy the mix. Its tough to find a use for all those egg yolks later. (If you decide to do this, I suggest making pasta with the egg yolks later)

Yes, I would have to agree. Between From Scratch and Out of the box. Can't say I can tell the difference. only in time and money maybe ;)

I had to laugh though cuz my trick for angel food cake is the box.....Sometimes it's even the grocery store. Shhhhhh!!!! Don't tell my DH:LOL:

I had to laugh though cuz my trick for angel food cake is the box.....Sometimes it's even the grocery store. Shhhhhh!!!! Don't tell my DH:LOL:

LMAO!!! Mine too! I 'fessed up after we'd been married a couple of years though.

A good frosting idea is flavored yogurt mixed with some Cool Whip. Unfortunately real whipped cream doesn't work, only Cool whip will do.

Thanks for the Frosting Idea - I usually use Cool Whip - Flavored Pudding Mix (instant) and pineapple juice.

I will try yours next time;)

I want to strt making my own, rather than using a mix. I have a few recipes but does anyone have any tricks?

Also, I don't keep cream of tarter and cake flour in the house, either.

Cream of tarter is used to help stabilize the meringue and helps for a finer grained cake in the end. It is possible of course to NOT use it, but for the sake of a couple bucks, and your wanting to start making them, I would get some to keep in the house.

Thanks for the Frosting Idea - I usually use Cool Whip - Flavored Pudding Mix (instant) and pineapple juice.

I will try yours next time;)

We like raspberry the best for the colour and lemon the best for flavour. Let me know which one you like. (Oh, you probably guessed this, but use the small yogurt container to mix into the Cool Whip, otherwise it gets too runny)

We like raspberry the best for the colour and lemon the best for flavour. Let me know which one you like. (Oh, you probably guessed this, but use the small yogurt container to mix into the Cool Whip, otherwise it gets too runny)

What about 1/2 raspberry and 1/2 lemon?

You mean you can put something OTHER than chocolate fudge Pillsbury frosting on angel food cake?

The last time I made angel food cake my disaster occurred when I didn't let it cool long enough. Be patient, don't try and rush it out of the cake pan.

We love it sliced and topped with mocha chocolate pudding (make your pudding like normal but add 2 or 3 tablespoons of instant coffee to the milk you are using - cooked pudding works better than instant). Since it's just the two of us and one cake will last us a few days, I don't normally frost ours so that we can top with whatever moves us that evening :).

The mix became Dairy. We don't eat much dairy food. I have to m ake it by hand...but I have a good mixer that I can chill, and I can get Cream of Tarter, no worries there.

I assume that buying a dozen eggs is cheaper than using a mix, anyway.

Anything else?

The mix became Dairy. We don't eat much dairy food. I have to m ake it by hand...but I have a good mixer that I can chill, and I can get Cream of Tarter, no worries there.

I assume that buying a dozen eggs is cheaper than using a mix, anyway.

Anything else?
There's no dairy in the mix. It's just add water. I can buy a box of the mix for 89 cents, name brand. A dozen eggs cost upwards of $2 and the price of cream of tartar will shock you. It's not cheap at all.

$3.59?

You using saffron infused COT down there?
Mine cost $4.79 when I bought it. I thought that was expensive. We're also talking compared to the cost of a box of mix. Still, $3.59 is expensive to me for something with limited use. I guess I'm just cheap by nature.

no worries, it is a staple in my pantry. I use it regularly and actually buy it 2 pounds at a time for the restaurant @ $12. Does wonders for fluffy scrambled eggs!

oh, and the sub for cream of tarter is equal amount of vinegar or lemon jcs
The answers I found say that depends on the recipe and nothing says equal parts of each. It's one or the other to half the amount of COT and it talks about baking soda too. I wouldn't want either vinegar or lemon juice in my angel food cake.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom