Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   An Airline I won't be flying on (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/an-airline-i-wont-be-flying-on-49645.html)

GB 08-29-2008 11:27 AM

An Airline I won't be flying on

Talk about stupid ways to save money.

smoke king 08-29-2008 12:14 PM

True that!!!

Callisto in NC 08-29-2008 12:47 PM

Maybe they should just weigh passangers as they get on to save money too. That's ridiculous but even worse is that it's an allowed situation under the Canadian guidelines.

ronjohn55 08-29-2008 01:06 PM

This strikes me as a bit more of a sensationalistic story than it needs to be. Most domestic (US) aircraft have already gone through this to a degree.

Case in point, of all the 757s I flew on to Kauai and back on vacation, only 2 - LAX to Lihue and Lihue back to LAX - were listed as "757-Overwater" models. The rest of them were not equipped with the same equipment because they are generally not over water.

50 miles from shore on a passenger airliner at altitude? You are, for all intents and purposes over land.

Of course, based on my flight experiences where they are even trying to charge for soft drinks now I can't see myself worry too mych about *any* airline, since odds are I won't be on it. :mrgreen:

I'll agree to pay a couple bucks for a can of Pepsi when they agree that my $1500 ticket will provide enough leg room to keep my knees out of the seat in front of me. And I'm a short guy!

GB 08-29-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronjohn55 (Post 674578)
50 miles from shore on a passenger airliner at altitude? You are, for all intents and purposes over land.

I disagree. When the plane goes down and lands in the middle of that water it really won't matter that you were at altitude.

50 miles out with a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy with me, neither of whom who can't swim, you had better believe that a life vest would mean more to me than a floating seat cushion.

Alix 08-29-2008 01:29 PM

GB, you wouldn't fly Jazz anyway. I agree with ronjohn, this is more sensational than it needs to be. Jazz isn't that big a carrier really. If you're going to be flying somewhere over water its a lot more likely to be a true Air Canada flight or Westjet.

Anyway, this doesn't even tweak my radar. Chances are, if the plane is going down you aren't going to need that life vest anyway.

GB 08-29-2008 01:35 PM

No I won't be flying Jazz, but the point of the story is that the airline is putting cost savings above safety, even if it is just a perception. Like i said, if I am on a plane with my kids and the plane goes into the water and we happen to survive then a floating cushion is not going to do me much good. I live vest will.

Alix 08-29-2008 01:44 PM

GB, I guess what I am saying is that the flotation device is going to be every bit as effective as the life vest in the situations Jazz would need them for. I'm not defending here, just saying its really not a big deal. I didn't even realize Jazz was still flying to be perfectly honest. Half the time its not because of other financial stupidities. I'm not going to bother getting into them here, but really this is such a minor thing compared to some of the other outrageous stuff the airlines have done here that its not even an issue.

qmax 08-29-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix (Post 674597)

Anyway, this doesn't even tweak my radar. Chances are, if the plane is going down you aren't going to need that life vest anyway.

Truth. I'll bet you can't find more than a couple instances in the last 20 years where life vests on a commercial aircraft were actually used.

I travel transcontinental all the time, and couldn't care less if there are life vests on board.

GB 08-29-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmax (Post 674617)
Truth. I'll bet you can't find more than a couple instances in the last 20 years where life vests on a commercial aircraft were actually used.

I travel transcontinental all the time, and couldn't care less if there are life vests on board.

I bet you would if you were one of those couple of instances.