Hannukah/Chanukah recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do my latkes by feel..but I can give you the basic ideas.
Firstly the Idaho potatos are always grated by hand..not shredded in the cuisinart. It makes a difference in the texture....they didn't have food procesors in the old days! I grate them into a dish towel so that I can then ring them out of moisture...Into the bowl they go..added to them is a small grated onion, 1tsp baking powder, approx 1/4C Matza meal, 1 egg, salt and pepper. You can sub flour for the matza meal...the mixture will be a bit mushy but holds together. This is based on 2 potatos of mediumish size.
I then use canola oil in a non stick pan..I get it very hot..and drop Tablesoon size monds into the oil...I then flatten them out...and fry until golden only turning once.
They always come out light and crispy..hope this recipe is easy enough to follow...

debthecook and Chez suz, my recipe is similar but I add about 1/2 tsp baking powder and let it all sit for a few minutes. I make my own apple sauce using granny smith apples, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and fresh ground 5-pepper corns. Serve with sour cream. I also make a parve lentil soup that is like stew it is to thick with lots of vegies and seasonings like garlic, Hungarian paprika, chili powder. For dessert usually a raisin and pear bread pudding or kugel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom